Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Printer Prints blue and not black

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2006, 03:20 PM #1
Solved: Printer Prints blue and not black
I recently replaced my black cartridge in my HP 722C printer. Since then, when I use the draft mode (which I use most of the time), the printing that is supposed to black comes out blue. When I change to the normal mode, the printing comes out black as it should. This occurs if I print a test page or a document. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer twice to try to correct the problem. I have also shut down and rebooted the computer. I use a PC with a 1.8MHZ processor using WinXP, SP2. Any suggestions?

Bill
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
07-May-2006, 03:35 PM #2
Hi,

You have me stumped but that does not take much to do that.

If nobody else has any ideas I would go to the HP website and go into support and use their diagnostic tools. maybe try seeing if there is an update for the driver.
Moderator with 63,687 posts.

07-May-2006, 03:55 PM #3
does the printer come with a blue cartridge? What happens if you remove it? It seems as if hte app is telling it to print in blue; maybe a setting somewhere is ticked when it shouldn't be.

Course, could also be a setting in the printer. I"ve got an epson, and for many days wondered why it would only print black; turned out that I had ticked the box that said 'print using black only' in one of my fugues.

v

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Member with 17,584 posts.

07-May-2006, 06:11 PM #4
While it differs between printer makes and models, in some modes when black is called for the printer uses "all colours" to get black, but uses only the black cartridge in other modes.

If "draft" uses "all colours" for black (for speed perhaps) and one colour is low or out, then the result you get would be possible.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

07-May-2006, 07:44 PM #5
Based upon your suggestion, I tried replacing the color cartridge and the problem went away. Contrary to what I thought, if I am printing a page that has color in it, the printer uses the color cartridge to produce the black printing instead of the black cartridge.

Thanks very much,

Bill
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

07-May-2006, 07:47 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
While it differs between printer makes and models, in some modes when black is called for the printer uses "all colours" to get black, but uses only the black cartridge in other modes.

If "draft" uses "all colours" for black (for speed perhaps) and one colour is low or out, then the result you get would be possible.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried replacing the color cartridge and the problem went away. I had been assuming that when I'm printing a page with color in it that the printer would use the black cartridge for the black printing. This appears to not be the case with this printer. It uses the color cartridge to produce the black print.

Thank you very much,

Bill
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

07-May-2006, 07:49 PM #7
That is how the printer folks make their money

You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu

07-May-2006, 07:51 PM #8
good call, kiwi.....that is something I was unaware of.

learn something every day.........

07-May-2006, 07:53 PM #9
Quite frankly, my HP printers won't even PRINT if the color cartridge is out

NOW THAT is a pisser......my color cartridges cost about $35

07-May-2006, 07:57 PM #10
switch to epson....the prices are the same, but at least you can print if one of the colors is out.

at least, I think you can. Black only, of course.

v

07-May-2006, 08:05 PM #11
I've had a couple of older Epson printers, they used to clog easily. And there was a little mesh screen of some sort that you had to take out and maneuver through. I'm gone for a couple of months at a time, and I've yet to find a 'good' solution to any of my printer problems

07-May-2006, 08:08 PM #12
I HAVE noticed that it clogs frequenty, even when not in use for say, a week. Have you considered the extra $$ and going laser? They last forever, and instead of your pool boy, you could have the laser boy over occasionally.
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
07-May-2006, 08:24 PM #13
I am pretty sure my printer at work is a Canon which has 3 color cartridges along with the black. seems to be a good good idea as cartridges are cheaper and don't go thru as many.

also when color is out i can still print as i recall and it is not blue so i believe it is using the black. i thought i remembered that if you ran out of black that the other colors could compensate but did not know they provided the black

07-May-2006, 08:56 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis
I HAVE noticed that it clogs frequenty, even when not in use for say, a week. Have you considered the extra $$ and going laser? They last forever, and instead of your pool boy, you could have the laser boy over occasionally.
I do have an HP LASER, I think it's a 1200. It seems to always work
Member with 17,584 posts.

07-May-2006, 09:00 PM #15
If you think about it, black is black. In draft mode, the black is actually a "pale black" which probably cannot be achieved using the black cartridge, its either all or nothing with that.

Only the colour ("color" to you US people) cartridge is probably capable of variation of volume, in many printers, so is used for draft.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!