Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Boot from Portable USB Hard Disk ?How?

(!)

Member with 29 posts.

10-May-2006, 06:05 AM #1
Question Boot from Portable USB Hard Disk ?How?
I have a portable USB 2. hard disk with 40GB capacity. How can I make this bootable? I know a flash disk can be made bootable as I have one using hp utility. But it wom't work on the portable hard disk.
thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,261 posts.

10-May-2006, 06:56 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bme
I have a portable USB 2. hard disk with 40GB capacity. How can I make this bootable? I know a flash disk can be made bootable as I have one using hp utility. But it wom't work on the portable hard disk.
thanks!
What is it you wish to boot? An OS?
Computer Specs
Member with 303 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-May-2006, 07:52 AM #3
If you BIOS supports it, under the boot order set it to USB first. One of my pc has a option for a USB-hd in the boot order screen.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-May-2006, 08:39 AM #4
If you plan on booting Windows, I'll save you some time, it won't work. Windows resets the USB controllers during the boot and the boot process fails.
Member with 29 posts.

11-May-2006, 04:34 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
If you plan on booting Windows, I'll save you some time, it won't work. Windows resets the USB controllers during the boot and the boot process fails.
Yes I wanted to boot the same way as UBCD or a flash disk.
Computer Specs

11-May-2006, 08:16 AM #6
You can boot Linux or MS-DOS from a USB hard disk, just not Windows.
Member with 29 posts.

12-May-2006, 12:19 PM #7
John,
Please direct me to a site that has a step by step on how to make my ext.hd bootable.
thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,261 posts.

12-May-2006, 12:39 PM #8
I can help you, but you need to tell us:

1. If your computer is capable of booting from USB (Should be a BIOS setting under Boot Order or something...)

2. What OS/program you wish to boot up into.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-May-2006, 01:33 PM #9
Quote:
If you plan on booting Windows, I'll save you some time, it won't work.
JohnWill, I've been booting XP off a thumb drive ever since several months ago when I started my truck PC project (posted when the DIY thread opened) and was trying to get XP to boot off a compactflash card. It can be done, and works very nicely.

Although, I've switched to embedded linux since then. Mainly GeexBox, Astlinux, DSLinux, etc.

Anyway,
How to boot XP from a USB 2.0 Hard Drive. Follow instructions here: http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

Make sure you read the forum thread on the linked site, there's some "gotcha" points to be aware of and some fixes that aren't spoke about on the above page. http://forums.ngine.de/viewtopic.php...82b322536c6024

I have a customized XP booting off my 1gb thumb drive on my CLE266 based itx board.

You'll need to check all the USB boot options in bios, I believe my 1gb thumb boots as a USB floppy.

Last edited by gotrootdude; 12-May-2006 at 01:38 PM..
Computer Specs

12-May-2006, 06:25 PM #10
Yes, you can boot it if you tinker with the configuration. Most folks aren't likely to want to go to that amount of trouble. I also wonder how long before a service patch nukes the capability. I'd also point out this guy just developed this procedure, it's not like it was around before a couple of months ago.
Member with 8,812 posts.

12-May-2006, 10:30 PM #11
The guy just posted the precedure in a place where you wouldn't have to look all over the net for it. The precedure has been around for awhile. Otherwise, I wouldn't have my thumb drive. Obviously, he's worked some kinks out of the precedure, since I created an image using ghost and transfered it to the drive without the swap enabled, and with all the updates I could get already installed. Also, I used the PE files, so it's was Fred Langa style. You can find articles about it dating back to 2004.

Anyway, it is possible then and now.

Last edited by gotrootdude; 12-May-2006 at 10:39 PM..
Member with 22,468 posts.

12-May-2006, 10:32 PM #12
Yep. If you search around you will see it has been available certainly more than a couple of months ago. Didn't' think you would have any need to exaggerate on this.

Nice find. Thanks for pointing it out
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

12-May-2006, 10:56 PM #13
Good Afternoon Gentlemen, excuse my impertinence, but what (if any) advantage is there with XP on a removable drive, surely it would be machine specific, speed limited, and no extra benefit than a removable HDD caddy.
Certainly an interesting exercise.
qldit.
Member with 22,468 posts.

12-May-2006, 11:39 PM #14
Can't answer for the others. Sounds like at least one person wants to and another has already done it. And someone took the time to figure it all out.

But for me, it would come in very useful. Not so much for having multiple computers with the same drive. But the ability to boot to with different external drives on the same computer. For testing purposes this would mean I don't need to manually connect and disconnect the IDE cables so often. Certainly would be much easier just to plug in a different USB device.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

12-May-2006, 11:49 PM #15
Yes but a removeable hard drive caddy simply slides into a front 5.25 bay and if you have several caddies it is extremely useful. No leads to play with or whatever and the other fitted hard drive has the other operating system if a drive and caddy is not fitted.

I seem to have problems whenever I try to place non specific XP operating systems in other machines, that was my reasoning.
qldit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!