Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

reversing mouse direction

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-May-2006, 01:13 PM #1
reversing mouse direction
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I have been looking for a software or a mouse that has the ability to reverse direction (the rollerball, not scroll wheel). I need the up/down/side motion reversed. I seem to have a case of computer mouse dyslexia... I can only use the mouse upside-down to get it to go in the direction I need. This is causing hand-cramping after 17 years of doing it this way. I have searched everywhere, but can only find prank .exe's that will do this as a joke. If you know of anything out there, please let me know. Thank You.
Member with 3,202 posts.

30-May-2006, 06:53 PM #2
if the "prank exe will work" ..why not just use it
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 07:15 AM #3
Because one of them only works for 30 seconds and then states that the person has been pranked... it's just a temporary joke.
The other one I found works permanently until you end the task, but only on one monitor. I have dual monitors and it only works on the left one... it won't let me scroll over to the other monitor, it just stops on the edge on the left monitor. I have to quit running the .exe to be able to use my other monitor.
If I can find a prank one that would work on both, I would be really glad to use it.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

31-May-2006, 08:49 AM #4
Sounds like it's time for a new mouse and the easiest way to solve this is an optical mouse with no rollerball...invest the $15-20 in your computing, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Rich-M; 31-May-2006 at 09:54 AM..
Member with 22,468 posts.

31-May-2006, 08:58 AM #5
How does an optical mouse allow you to reverse the direction like they want. I don't see that setting on any of mine.
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 09:01 AM #6
I was wondering the same thing... I currently do have an optical mouse.
I am looking into having a co-worker switch the contacts internally in either one with a roller-ball, or the optical one... which ever works. We'll see if it works.
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 09:57 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebbett
I was wondering the same thing... I currently do have an optical mouse.
I am looking into having a co-worker switch the contacts internally in either one with a roller-ball, or the optical one... which ever works. We'll see if it works.
Well this is just going way over my head...you have an optical mouse, well it does not have a roller ball then...I give up.
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 10:01 AM #8
I have both kinds available to use here... I was just trying to see if there was a way to do this to either one.
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 10:12 AM #9
I guess I don't understand the problem at all and have never heard of such a thing.
Member with 22,468 posts.

31-May-2006, 10:13 AM #10
The problem is pretty simple. For whatever reason, he wants to reverse the direction of the mouse. Doesn't need a new one.
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 10:16 AM #11
I know I am an unusual case. I could only find 2 other people/articles on this after much research... oh well....
Member with 3,202 posts.

31-May-2006, 10:29 AM #12
here is a link to get the prank...maybe you can use the info there to undo the prank...let us know how it goes

http://www.robrob8.com/pranks/fastmouse.htm

if you do download the prank...BE SURE TO SCAN IT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE

Last edited by happyrck; 31-May-2006 at 10:34 AM..
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 11:02 AM #13
Thanks, I'll try it out.
I also just came across a software called PointSmart... it's $99 but if I have to buy it, it's worth it.
Hopefully the free one works!
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 12:02 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
The problem is pretty simple. For whatever reason, he wants to reverse the direction of the mouse. Doesn't need a new one.

That may be simple but it sure isn't logical. Can you explain why anyone would want to do this? Why not put monitor upside down, wouldn't that do it also?
Computer Specs

31-May-2006, 12:15 PM #15
I know it does not sound logical, but it is the only way I can use the mouse (upside-down) until I find a software to reverse the direction.
I have been a graphic designer for 17 years and can move around just as fast as any right-side-up user. Don't ask me why... it just is.
Believe me, I have received many remarks from people on my quest to find a way to do this.
I thank you all for trying though (or just trying to understand).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!