Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mayday! Hp Zd8000 Laptop Powers Up For 3 Seconds Then Dies, Then Repeats

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2006, 02:52 PM #1
Unhappy Mayday! Hp Zd8000 Laptop Powers Up For 3 Seconds Then Dies, Then Repeats
Ahhh!!! Nothing ever shows up on the screen. The blue power light stays lit the whole time (I don't think power is being interrupted to the mobo). The green light on the power supply also stays continuously lit. I have not made any software or hardware changes for several weeks. It does it when operating from battery pack, on AC, and with both, it doesn't seem to matter. I have pulled out the ram and tried the original ram that came with it, it still does it. It doesn't make any beeps or anything. It powers up for 3 seconds then dies (except blue power light stays on still), then it continues to do this. I downloaded the pdf for tearing apart the laptop and took it all apart to be able to access the CPU. I pulled it out and reinstalled it again to make sure it was seated again. Put whole thing back together (3 hours wasted), and it still does it.

Please help. I think I might be in the market for a new mobo...which is last I saw $900.

Are there any aftermarket motherboard makers that might make one that will fit an HP case? Or does anyone have an idea of what I can do to salvage some value out of this thing?? Please help!!!!
Turd
Computer Specs
Member with 3,370 posts.

03-Jun-2006, 07:37 PM #2
The most common cause of these symptoms is Heat...caused by fan failure. During the 3 seconds that it runs do you hear the fan..and feel air coming out of the exhaust port???

So at what point did it start doing this, if you have made no hardware/software changes?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2006, 06:55 AM #3
laptop has 3 fans on it
i know at least 1 fan fires up because i feel the exhaust, i don't think the other 2 have enough time to get going...My wife was actually using the computer at the time. Something pop up saying if it wanted to install updates, i told her to click no, then the system hung. after we turned it off and back on again, it started doing the symptoms i described...thanks for your reply winbob! i wonder if maybe the gpu could be overheating instead of the cpu and that could cause it? i did reseat the cpu and everything seemed to be normal there...
Member with 17,584 posts.

04-Jun-2006, 07:15 AM #4
Curious.
My HP Ze4300 did exactly the same thing for no reason, it ended up as a motherboard fault.

The initial 3 second power on saw they keyboard lights flash, the restarts di not.

It was as if the BIOS was trying to initialise some damaged hardware, which caused a restart.

It was not heat related, all fans and CPU were just fine.
I trashed it and bought another.

Laptops are quite proprietary as for replacements of motherboards. No replacement other than the HP one are available as far as I am aware, even if there was such a thing you would then need a new copy of Windows (your existing one is BIOS locked to that PC make and model of motherboard)
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jun-2006, 11:16 AM #5
Yeah this sounds coincidental to updates...and today to replace a motherboard is more $ than buying a new notebook as you can see. I think an after market motherboard could be a real disaster.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!