Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: RAID controller cannot be installed

(!)

Member with 8,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2006, 02:31 AM #1
Solved: RAID controller cannot be installed
ASUS A8N - SLI DeLuxe Motherboard with built-in RAID controller for SATA drives.
Windows XP Pro SP2;
Athlon 64 X2, 4400;
2 x 1GB DDR 3200;
80 GB HDD

This is a new build. I am using ONLY SATA HDDs.

I do NOT intend to use RAID on this computer.

During installation of XP, I was asked for the RAID & SATA disk. I had made the floppy for the NVIDIA RAID. The installation program could not find the needed information on the Floppy disk. Installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 proceeded & seemed to go well.

But, in device manager, I have a "bang", yellow circle with ! on "RAID Controller".
The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28.

I have made floppies for the nVidia & Silicon SATA / RAID devices.

Device Manager is unable to locate the drivers.

I await your assistance.

Sincerely,
RF123
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 958 posts.

Experience: of a lifetime!
15-Jun-2006, 05:24 AM #2
Try right-clicking the "Raid Controller" in device manager, choose "Update Driver" and let Windows search the CD that came with your motherboard (with the CD in the optical drive).
Member with 8,248 posts.

15-Jun-2006, 06:28 AM #3
RS:
I have done that. I have downloaded the latest driver from ASUS. I have uninstalled the device, re-booted.

Now, the error code is Code 1. The device is not configured correctly.

I have searched ASUS's site. I have posted at ASUS's forum. I have sent a tech support request to ASUS.

I'm trying.

Thanks for replying, RS.

Sincerely,
RF123
Member with 8,248 posts.

16-Jun-2006, 03:00 AM #4
1. History of current problem:
Before deciding to purchase the A8N SLI DeLuxe motherboard, I contacted ASUS, via a web form.
The question I asked: "I want to connect 4 HDDs in non- RAID. If I connect them to the 4 SATA ports on the motherboard, can I connect optical SATA drives to the "RAID" SATA ports on the motherboard?" My operating system is Windows XP Pro SP2, 32 bit.

OFFICIAL reply from ASUS: "YES, you can."

Rhetorical question: How do I accomplish this task?

I do NOT intend to use RAID on this computer, however, I want to use the raid ports on the motherboard for an optical drive.

2. During the first time I installed XP, I was asked for the RAID & SATA disk. I had made the floppy for the NVIDIA RAID. The installation program could not find the needed information on the Floppy disk. Installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 proceeded & seemed to go well.

But, in device manager, I had a "bang", yellow circle with ! on "RAID Controller". The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28.

I made new floppies for the nVidia & Silicon SATA / RAID devices. Again, device Manager was unable to locate the drivers.

In Dev Mgr, I uninstalled the "RAID Controller" & rebooted. Again, Windows was unable to locate the drivers on the floppies and on the CD. As a result, in Dev Mgr, the error is now "Code 1", something like the device is not properly configured.

I called ASUS tech support. I was advised by ASUS automated attendant that the wait time was approximately 4 minutes. The wait time was closer to 15 minutes. Finally, I spoke with Maurice in Louisville, KY. He spoke very rapidly and was unpleasant. He suggested that I download the latest drivers for the motherboard chipset & for the SiL RAID controller from ASUS' web site. I did so. I ran the chipset drivers. Then, I tried to install the RAID controller [ I made both nVidia & Silicon driver disks. ] The drivers will not install.

For reasons that are unclear to me Maurice placed me back in the QUE. I spoke, briefly, with someone else. It was difficult for me to understand his speech. He said he would connect me with someone else. The connection
was lost. I was on the phone for almost an hour and received no useful information.

Current state of affairs.
3. I installed Win XP Pro SP2 to a 3rd SATA HDD. I did not press F6 during installation. I have not installed the nVidia drivers from the CD that accompanied the motherboard.

In Dev Mgr, the following have bangs:
Ethernet
Other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
RAID Controller
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device
Video Controller [ vga compatible ].

Properties for each of the devices is noted as "Code 28".

I have an eVGA 7800 video card. I have not tried to install the drivers in any of my attempts. I want to install of the motherboard drivers first.

In the bios, I have disabled the onboard audio. I have a separate Audio card that I will install, later. The only other change I have made in the bios is to disable the ASUS splash screen.

I have connected the HDDs to the 4 black SATA ports on the motherboard. Each of the drives is recognized by the bios & by Windows. If I connect a SATA drive on 1 of the red / "RAID" ports on the motherboard, the system will not boot into Windows. I am informed that "No Valid Device" exits. "press any key, F4 or "CTRL + S". The boot process continues until the IRQ assignments and other resource information appears. Then, the boot process stops. Even if I press F4, the boot process stops.

I have posted the issue at ASUS' forum.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...page=1&count=1

2 people have responded, but they have been unable to solve the issue. "Mike" suggested that I download chipset drivers from nVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_..._amd_6.70.html

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the "License for customer use" page. I

have tried downloading the file using IE 6 SP1 on a Win 2000 Pro SP4 computer & a Win XP Pro SP2 computer; each PC using IE & FireFox

1.5.0.4. I am NOT using the computer with which I am having difficulties installing the RAID controller drivers to download the new drivers. I have

tried to accomplish the task using DIFFERENT computers.

I have the latest java [ the page refers to java ].

I have turned off IE's & FF's popup blockers. I have disabled my AV's popup blocking. I am still unable to download the drivers from nVidia's web site.

Sincerely,
RF123

Last edited by rainforest123; 16-Jun-2006 at 03:58 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
16-Jun-2006, 03:09 AM #5
I have moved yo to hardware, where i think you may get more help!
Member with 8,248 posts.

16-Jun-2006, 03:59 AM #6
Bassettman:
Thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,
RF123
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 958 posts.

Experience: of a lifetime!
16-Jun-2006, 08:43 AM #7
Here's the direct nVidia link:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/n...2k_english.exe

It all sounds pretty inexplicable.....
I don't think you've done anything wrong, in fact you're coping admirably considering the circumstances.
Either you haven't been given the right drivers or there's something amiss with the board itself (pending numerous issues with AMD + nVidia).
I think you might well have suffered enough and could ultimately benefit from sending the damned thing back and going non-ASUS and non-nVidia.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

16-Jun-2006, 10:27 AM #8
Ok, with an nforce board the controller must be set for the mode you want ie raid or non-raid AND each sata channel must be set if you want raid.

Next I would rma the board and go with a board with the ati chipset. The nforce does not fully support dual core cpus [even though it claims to do so] You will have constant problems when you use an usb device like an external hd.

16-Jun-2006, 08:40 PM #9
RS:
Thanks for the link. After downloading the file, using the link you provided, I went back to nVidia and was able to download the driver.

I installed it, but the efforts were not fruitful. I learned a lot from this project.

CRJ:
I was not aware of AMD / nVidia problems. I do not doubt your knowledge. I need to educate myself.

RMA & Ctrl ALT Del have a lot in common.

The vendor said an exception to policy will be made; they will let me purchase a different motherboard.

Thanks for your help.

RF123
Member with 8,248 posts.

02-Jul-2006, 04:03 PM #10
The vendor, Allied Semiconductor [ www.alliedsemi.com ] did not permit me to select a different motherboard. The new motherboard they sent me, fortunately, did not have the defects that the first motherboard had.

RF123
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2006, 04:10 PM #11
Hey RF123 congrats!

You can also mark these threads solved yourself under tools!
Member with 8,248 posts.

03-Jul-2006, 02:22 PM #12
I have marked this thread as "solved", which, I believe is different from "closed".

Woof Woof.

RF123
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2006, 02:33 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest123
I have marked this thread as "solved", which, I believe is different from "closed".

Woof Woof.

RF123
Touche'
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!