Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Printer spooler not working over network

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

16-Jun-2006, 11:25 AM #1
Printer spooler not working over network
I have a HP deskjet 5700 series printer connected to my computer, which is running Windows XP Pro. This computer is connected via Wi-Fi to several others, to share this printer and our Cable Internet. Anyway, I just tried sending a file from the server computer, which is running Windows XP Home to mine to print it, and an error popped up that said "the printer spooler is not working". I tried turning the printer off and clearing the print queue, but that didn't change anything. I can share files anywhere on the network without a hitch, and my computer will print perfectly fine...It's only when another computer on the network tries to use the printer the error comes up. It worked fine a few days ago...And it can't be my Wi-Fi connection because my computer shows good signal strength and it is using it to access the Internet as I write this post. Any ideas on why this started happening?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 958 posts.

Experience: Always interested in new experiences
16-Jun-2006, 03:42 PM #2
Did you check start>printers>(right click printer name>right click sharing)
If every computer has the printer listed? If the host computer has sharing checked?

16-Jun-2006, 06:01 PM #3
Yes, I checked that and share this printer is checked and the other computer does see mine....I do have file sharing
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: A+, NET+ Certified
16-Jun-2006, 06:03 PM #4
OK lemme get this straight sorry so your pc is the windows xp pro right? and the printer is hooked up to ur pc. So your pc will act like a printer server, so it have to be on before anyone else print from their pc. then, you have another pc with is the Windows xp Home right and that pc won't print an i correct? but you can share files fine and the XP Home pc and see the printer. So it looks like you have driver issues.

My best bet is to reinstall the Window XP Home printer drivers.

Anyone else got a better idea? heh heh...

16-Jun-2006, 06:27 PM #5
yep you got it all right.........so how do i do that?
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2006, 10:03 PM #6
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

I need the printer driver installed on both computers.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jun-2006, 10:29 PM #7
Yes you do need a printer driver installed on both computers, the best way to do that is to copy the driver disk onto "my shared files" and share them with the other computers. Then you can download the drever from the other computers. That will give the other computers on your network access to your printer. make sure you can "ping" the other computers from yours. You can do that by going to "start" "run" "cmd". that will give you DOS. From there you type "ping (ip adress)". You can find the IP adress by going into the DOS and typing "ipconfig". That will give you the IP adress of the computer you are currently on. Does that help?

17-Jun-2006, 12:11 AM #8
thanks! I did have the driver installed on both computers...don't know why it quit on the one... anyway, yes I can "ping" the other computer from mine. I don't have the driver CD, so could I get the files right off my computer and share it? If so, where could I locate those files on my computer?
Computer Specs

17-Jun-2006, 03:03 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heehahahahee
thanks! I did have the driver installed on both computers...don't know why it quit on the one... anyway, yes I can "ping" the other computer from mine. I don't have the driver CD, so could I get the files right off my computer and share it? If so, where could I locate those files on my computer?
The url I posted earlier will provide you with drivers

17-Jun-2006, 06:22 PM #10
Cool... I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

21-Jun-2006, 08:29 PM #11
TA DA! I reinstalled the driver on the xp home pc using that link, and my printer is working without a hitch. Good job MTDRoddin, and thanks for the link DaddyHominum!!!! *thumbs up*
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!