Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AMD...Intel...AMD...Intel...AAaagghh?!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2006, 03:10 AM #1
AMD...Intel...AMD...Intel...AAaagghh?!!!
I am putting together a new computer build for an Artist/Musician friend of mine who has a small home music studio with analogue/ digital In/Output requirements ('Sound Forge' Audio Studio Software) and his main hobby is 3D graphics creation/Animation/Modeling ('Blender' is one of the progs he is currently using, also Photoshop type progs.etc ).
A few Rally games will probably be played,

The main problem i have is the choice of Motherboard and CPU...I haven't built or kept up with mainstream components for eighteen months and its like a whole new world out there (Moore's Law i guess).

Anyway here is what we have as a guide so far...

Motherboard: ???
CPU : ???
HDD : Seagate 200Gb 7200 rpm SATA 11 300 ( Depending on Mobo/CPU )
Case : Themalktake Soprano 430w Midi Tower
FDD : Sony 1.44Mb
KB/Mouse : MS Wireless Optical Desktop v3.0v Value Pack
Memory : Corsair 2x512Mb PC 4200- 533 Value Select kit (depending on Mobo/CPU)
DVD-RW : Pioneer DVR111D
Speakers : Logitec Z-5400 5.1 Digital
Sound card : Creative Sound Blaster X- Fi Platinum
Graphics card: Leadteck GF 7600GS TDH 256 Mb PCI-E (depending on Mobo/CPU)

The budget for this build is approx $1600 USD ($2200 AUD) Keeping in mind USA components are quite a bit cheaper than in Oz...

Thanks in Anticipation
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,058 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 04:22 AM #2
so when you take all those items away from your budget in Oz whats left for Mobo/CPU
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 04:34 AM #3
Hello etaf,

Approx $500 USD ($700AUD)
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 04:39 AM #4
OOps etaf, didn't realise you were in the UK

Approx 280 GBP

Last edited by EtErnitE3; 24-Jun-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 13,404 posts.

Experience: Not enough space.........
24-Jun-2006, 05:02 AM #5
you may have to drop back to PC3200-DDR400, a decent Asus 939 pin mobo and maybe a A64-3700+ to stay in your budget
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 05:26 AM #6
Good Evening EtErnitE3, check your Aldi store, they may have some of the recent specials left.
You couldn't possibly build one for their price and quality of components.
That was just the box, a monitor and other peripherals is extra.
qldit.
Edit... Duh! I see you haven't got any of these shops over there yet! Shame.
End of suggestions.
Computer Specs
Member with 299 posts.

Experience: Taking an A+ Course
24-Jun-2006, 05:42 AM #7
i thought Intel were suppost to be good for digital audio/video type things for like a Artist/Musician, and AMD for games and other type things no?
Computer Specs

24-Jun-2006, 06:42 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_saosin_x
i thought Intel were suppost to be good for digital audio/video type things for like a Artist/Musician, and AMD for games and other type things no?
that school of thought went out about 3 to 4 years ago, the Athlon 64 939 cpuz are as good if not better at any BM you can throw at them and the A64x2 are far superior to the comparable intel versions. I'm affraid your believing in ancient propaganda, Ive worked with both intel and AMD products and I never noticed this wonderful edge intel was supposedly holding over AMD. I would advise you to take a fresh look at AMD products across the board. I'm a CAD tech and have been since '88 and AMD has always had an equal or superior product to any Intel offering and usually at a savings $$$$$. Sorry to come off as a fan boy but this BS about intel being for graphics and AMD is just for gamers drives me insane, it is such crap, AMD is not a toy, the only reason gamers went with AMD is because 1) they were cheaper and 2) the were overclockable which made them even a better bargain.
MB = motherboard, NIC = network interface card
OS = operating system, gfx = graphics
GPU = graphics processor, d/l = download, ob = on board
HDD = hard disk drive, FDD = floppy disk drive
HSF = heat sink w/ fan, FSB = front side bus
DM = device manager, KB = Keyboard
Computer Specs

24-Jun-2006, 07:33 AM #9
get a intel Pent D 805 and overclock to 4ghz that ought to take care of any task.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 09:06 AM #10
Thanks for that brite 750.

The A64 3700/3800 appear to be slightly more expensive here in Oz than the new AM2 architechture(depending on mobo price/ selection)...but now we are opening up a whole new can of worms..any advice from owners out there??

I have been reading specs on two Motherboards that get interesting reviews,they are the ASUS A8N- VM and the ASROCK 939SLI32-e SATA2.( an Asus offshoot)

They are lower to mid range boards but for the build we are considering may just do the job .The Asus board has onboard graphics and if proved to be underpowered for our application we can always install a dedicated PCI-e card.

The Asrock board has all the bells and whistles and and for the price is very competative .

Would anyone in the forum have purchased either of these boards and could advise as to their compatability for this build or any other advise/recommendations would be most welcome.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2706

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2626&p=2

Thanks again
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 09:18 AM #11
Yes qldit, Perth Western Australia has the distinction of being the most isolated Capital City in the World... (What a claim to fame!!).

Yup I'll be takin the buggy te tha hardware store tommora ta pick up some vidles and computer parts..be back in a week..tho the horse is a might lame....

Last edited by EtErnitE3; 24-Jun-2006 at 10:05 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

24-Jun-2006, 09:44 AM #12
I'm a bit confused brite 750 you have expounded the virtues of AMD and then suggested the Pent D 805 to 4GIG!!!. I was thinking of overclocking a little but i don't want to be filling the case with vegetable oil... ...What Mobo would you suggest for that and memory to get it there.

Cheers
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2006, 12:33 PM #13
As Rock is garbage and Asus isn't having a good year either. Since there are problems big time with Nforce 4 chipsets, why not go forward with Am2 which gives you better and less expensive ram, faster hard drives, and a different series of chipsets that so far are not problematic for Nvidia. Way more future with AM2....
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2006, 07:26 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtErnitE3
I'm a bit confused brite 750 you have expounded the virtues of AMD and then suggested the Pent D 805 to 4GIG!!!. I was thinking of overclocking a little but i don't want to be filling the case with vegetable oil... ...What Mobo would you suggest for that and memory to get it there.

Cheers
LOL I read an article in Toms Hardware, they take an inexpensive cpu in this case the 805 and see how much they can crank it up, I guess in this case the Intel is at the top of the heap, they took this $130 cpu and got it to outperform the top of the line cpuz from both intel and amd. With air cooling i think they got it up just over 4ghz, not too shabby. Actually I wasnt so much expounding on AMD as I was trying to counter this 3 to 4 year propaganda about AMD being just for gamers, either cpu with the right mobo will perform admirably for you just dont buy intel based on old information.
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2006, 07:29 PM #15
Hey just saw the vegtable oil comment....look what you do in the priacy of your own home is for no one to judge
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!