Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best injet printer for infrequent use

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 04:33 AM #1
Best injet printer for infrequent use
I always hated when I'd unfold a letter and see that the ink transfered to another part of the page, so I was glad when I discovered Epson's DuraBrite ink. Unfortunately, when I bought my Epson printer, the instructions said that I have only 6 months to use up the ink. Then came the clogs. No more Epsons or pigment inks for me.

I read about laser printers emitting ozone, so I'd rather avoid those, though they're still tempting. I mainly need the printer for black text, and I guess I can open a window and turn on a fan.

I also read about some printers, like HP's, having replaceable printheads. Unfortunately, HP's printheads are about $30 each (for each color), and it's not clear which of their printers have them. So, I'm looking for an inexpensive inkjet for good quality black text that's especially good for infrequent use, and I'm still not sure what to get. Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jul-2006, 04:55 AM #2
Good Evening -Barry-, that is an interesting question, so far as I know they all clog up when not being used for periods.
Probably the best idea would be to consider a BJ printer with a head and ink cartridge combined, the reason being that if the heads do clog you can simply remove the cartridge and immerse the head section in warm water for a few minutes to help free the ink, if that doesn't work replace the cartridge.
Whatever you do don't get a printer with a "chipped" ink cartridge, this is one that records print useage and locks out when the ink is calculated to be used, even though it may still have ink.
I think the idea was to prevent owners refilling cartridges and limit replacements to branded items but basically it is a disguised scam by manufacturers.
The really cheap Lexmarks seem to give good service, but many people don't like them.
Cheers, qldit.
techkid   (David) techkid is offline techkid has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 05:00 AM #3
I've had a HP multifunction printer for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. I haven't used it for about 2 months, but it still prints good (on the original ink cartridges! (although I do need to replace them soon)).

Qldit, I've found Lexmarks to be pretty dodgy. But that's just me.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 05:29 AM #4
Good Evening all, yes techkid, but the cheap ones are virtually the same price as a replacement cartridge, and come with two cartridges! (colour and b&w)
I don't know how they can make them for such ridiculously low prices.
qldit.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,695 posts.

Experience: Death & Taxes
12-Jul-2006, 05:33 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by qldit
I don't know how they can make them for such ridiculously low prices.
qldit.
because they make the money on the ink.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 05:42 AM #6
G'day TU, you have to laugh I refilled a few cartridges for them and found the ink was running throught the heads, they must have bigger orifices, and use a more viscous ink, so about 10% glycerine added to the ink fixed that!! (LOL!)
qldit.
Member with 17,584 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 07:14 AM #7
I stored a common (HP 712C I think) in the shed for 2 years, with cartridges fitted.

When I recovered it to give it away, it still printed as good as new, no clogging.

I have 3 HP inkjets here and 1 HP laser.

The inkjets don't clog on the PSC 750 that I use very sporadically at our coastal cottage, nor on the A3 sized 9300 that sometimes goes a couple of months here with no use.

However a Brother printer MFC3820CN will not tolerate a week without clogging and much ink wastage if turned off. If left on, it wastes the ink by self-cleaning as well.

And the "ozone" from the lasers appears not to be an issue unless you have an extreme sensitivity: http://www.p2pays.org/ref/06/05523.htm

I sit beside one every day, all day.
Mind you, qldit would probably comment that "it explains a lot"...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,390 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 07:23 AM #8
Good Evening all, no I wouldn't, or mightn't or actually that could explain a lot now you come to mention it! LOL!
qldit.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 08:24 AM #9
I also have a PSC-750, and I find it works really well after long periods of not being used. In addition, the time or two I've had an issue, I just clean the head with alcohol. It's convenient, because the print head is part of the cartridge, you can just take it out, clean it up, and put it back in. I've thrown a couple of Epson inkjet printers away because they were such a PITA after not being used for a few weeks.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,370 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 08:52 AM #10
I am using a Conon MF3110 Laser multifunction. It does not have onboard fax function but then I do not have a phone line attached to my house. I have been using this printer for nearly 2 years now and still am using the toner cartridge that came with the printer. I have been through 2 1/12 cases of paper and am waiting for the toner to run out I have the replacement waiting and have had for over a year. The price on this laser is still an affordable under $200 US Dollars. Actually I got mine cheaper, it was ona clearence rack at Staples never assembled for $49 US. This was a Christmas Display model and had to be sold as such because the box was opened. Look at the clearence racks, there be gold for price of copper in them racks, arrrrgh Matey!
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 09:12 AM #11
Uhh... we're talking about inkjet printers here.

I have a couple of laser printers that get most of the use here, I only use the inkjet when I want color stuff. That's the reason that the inkjet sits for months at a time without being used.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2006, 09:25 AM #12
True aboutthe color and the inkjet, I have a Brother MFC laying in the dusty er dust around here for that, but havent used it in over a year. Not may pictures printed from my computer anymore. The question was printing mainly BLACK TEXT also is why I opted to recommend a lazer. Speed on a lazer is usually quite a bit better as well. There uses for both types of printers. I do not like the price of replacing ink cartridges so I replace whole printers for less usually. Reason my yard sales look like used car lots for printers sometimes.
Member with 7 posts.

14-Jul-2006, 06:17 AM #13
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the inkjets mentioned that didn't clog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
And the "ozone" from the lasers appears not to be an issue unless you have an extreme sensitivity: http://www.p2pays.org/ref/06/05523.htm
I had seen that page or an equivalent one. It says
Quote:
Photocopiers and laser printers should be located in areas where there is a supply and return air vent to ensure adequate ventilation, the primary method of controlling indoor air quality.
That's not possible in my case. It also says
Quote:
Emissions can be further controlled to acceptable levels if necessary by adding a charcoal and ozone filter to the cooling fan port.
I looked for one that attaches to a printer's cooling fan port with no luck. I'm considering a desktop carbon filter near a laser printer, or just a fan and opened window.
Member with 17,584 posts.

14-Jul-2006, 07:01 AM #14
In order to get any local exposure to "high" levels of ozone, the printer would have to be used almost continuously, I believe and be quite an old model.

Occasional use of a newer printer would likely be of no consequence, based on my studies.

I ran a complete IT department with dozens of them, some were operating on billing runs almost continuously and it was never an issue.

If your use is "infrequent" as you say I doubt it would ever be measurable let alone noticeable obove the "natural" level that would exist without the printer. The ozone is only produced when printing is taking place, from the charging of the corotron to impart a charge to the silicon drum, not continuously.

My LJ2100 printer has a stated ozone output of less than 0.001 mg/cubic metre, while the US regulatory level for occupational exposure is 0.200, so my printer is some 200 or more times lower than that determined as the maximum allowable under US health laws.

That ozone level is based on 2 hours of printing in any 8 hour day, a very high use level.

Also the ozone has a life of only a few minutes typically before it decomposes back to oxygen.

While excess ozone is clearly best to be avoided, I suspect the outside "clean air" is probably now equally or more contaminated with levels of ozone in many parts of the world that the air surrounding the printer...
Computer Specs

14-Jul-2006, 07:45 AM #15
Plus this, While initial outlay for a laser printer may be higher, it doesnt take long replacing ink cartridges to far exceed the cost of the initial laser printer purchase. The ink cartridge cost for my last HP inkjet printer was in excess of $65 US. While the toner cartridge for my Canon MF3110 is only $73 US and I have gotten more than 6000 pages out of the cartridge tht came with the printer and have yet to have a single clog, misprint, or smear, and the cartridge is still showing no signs of running out. My laser is not even half as loud as my last Ink jet and my room mate present inkjet.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!