Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer can't read blank CD-r/rw but can read DVD-R

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jul-2006, 01:48 AM #1
Unhappy Computer can't read blank CD-r/rw but can read DVD-R
Hi all,

I purchased an emachines t5026. There are two cd drives and I have not replaced the cd drives. In the my computer folder it says the e drive is a dvd-rw drive and the F drive says cd drive. The e drive can read and write dvds but cannot recognize cds. The f drive recognizes cds but cannot recognize dvds. Niether drive can read a blank CD-r/rw. The cds can be read on other computers. I am trying to burn a data cd for one of my classes. Can anyonw help me resolve this issue. I don't know much about the technicalities of the drives or what type of models these drives are. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 421 posts.

Experience: I know some things
23-Jul-2006, 02:10 AM #2
You may have bought the Wrong Speed CD/RWs , which may be incompatible with your Dives.

I by 1 to 52 Compatible media.

If you have bought high speed media it may not be compatible with your drives.

Sherry

23-Jul-2006, 02:15 AM #3
I have purchased Memorex cd-rw ultra speed 24x, 700mb, 80min. The DVDR 16x seems to work. I also have Maxell Cd-r it was 48x. Both the CDr and CDRW did not work. Any other suggestions as to which cdr i should use?
Computer Specs
Member with 338 posts.

Experience: Advanced (in some things)
23-Jul-2006, 10:41 AM #4
What program is being used to burn DVD's and attempting to burn cd's?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2006, 11:08 AM #5
Is the EMachine new or used? You are aware an eMachine is a collection of the worst hardware known to man, and please I do not mean to be mean here at all. It's just if the pc is used, you simply need to replace everything that does not work as drives, power supplies and motherboards don't do well with much use or change.

23-Jul-2006, 02:30 PM #6
I am using Nero 7.0. I purchased it new last february and you are right it hasn't been the best. I get the blue screen of death once in a while. I just want to know how I can get the E drive to read my blank CDs. Any suggestions. Does it have to do with the ASPI? If so how do I download another one?

Thanks again.
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2006, 02:37 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowlittle
I am using Nero 7.0. I purchased it new last february and you are right it hasn't been the best. I get the blue screen of death once in a while. I just want to know how I can get the E drive to read my blank CDs. Any suggestions. Does it have to do with the ASPI? If so how do I download another one?

Thanks again.
Not all dvd burners burn cdrw's....do you know for a fact this one does both, because if it is supposed to then it is "toast" though you could try running a cleaning cd through it before giving up the ghost but burners are pretty much up and down with no real surprises they either work or do not providing all cables are snug etc...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,250 posts.

23-Jul-2006, 02:47 PM #8
Possibly an ASPI issue, you can try ForceASPI: http://force_aspi_18.w.interia.pl/

But it may be due to currupt filters. Uninstall all your CD burning software first.

Then run Nero's Clean Tool to cleanup: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html

Next create the registry file from the text below and double click it to import it into the registry. Reboot after doing so.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG ----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ Use text before this line ---------------------------------------------

Now reinstall Nero 7 and download the latest patch from here: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
23-Jul-2006, 04:15 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
Is the EMachine new or used? You are aware an eMachine is a collection of the worst hardware known to man, and please I do not mean to be mean here at all. It's just if the pc is used, you simply need to replace everything that does not work as drives, power supplies and motherboards don't do well with much use or change.
Worst hardware? But in the final wash how does Emachine rank in reliability and Service.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...14,pg,3,00.asp

Seems Emachine's notebooks are also well liked.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...14,pg,5,00.asp

Computer Specs

23-Jul-2006, 04:44 PM #10
Well sorry to say and I am a subscriber, that isn't much of a source and they don't run the best most reliable reviews. Having worked on this junk for so many years, all I can say is if the results are true then the buyers that comppiled this survey, have really low understanding and expectations .
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2006, 05:09 PM #11
User and reviewer opinions aren't very reliable. DId they ask every user, how many people were aware of the survey. Most people don't complain or simply don't know any better. Some people are simply happy that the computer works, many don't realize how slow some of there brand name systems are compared to home built or locally built systems. And reviewers use it for a few hours, I'm sure thats enough time to judge how a system is going to run under daily use.

The place I work sells Acer, almost every one has had hardware failures, but I know for a fact we weren't asked to contribute to that survery.

But this has nothing do do with the problem the poster has.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 4,825 posts.

Experience: Semi-advanced
23-Jul-2006, 06:00 PM #12
Quote:
We asked 42,000 PC World readers about their PCs,
Quote:
User and reviewer opinions aren't very reliable
What the hell's left? Non-users? Maybe we should ask the manufacturers and their PR departments?

My own experience with Emachine has been very positive. In 1999 I set up a network to run my video store. The server was a Dell Optiplex running NT, the workstations were 3 Emachines running W98. The flac I took at the time was rather harsh. They ran solid 24/7 for almost 7 years. I did have to replace power supplies and HS fan's.... that's it. They have since been retired but still run like the day I bought them.

I shudder to think what would have happenned if I had bought Compaq or HP, luckily I knew better.

I wish all my money had been that well spent.

Can't really understand why the Emachine thing came up anyway, the poster's problems are very common, as seen on numerous posts weekly on these forums, and don't appear to be related to any specific brand or hardware. I've chucked my share of opticals of all brands. I might be wrong, but I think if the poster chucked both opticals and popped in a new $35 burner all would be well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136091
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2006, 06:08 PM #13
How about the technicians or IT staff. But I should have re-read my post, its somewhat errorenous as of course users are indeed good indicators. What it should have said are the users on review sites that just bought something and rate it at that time rather then after months or years of use. But also how many users actually poke their head into the computer or know if the components in the ir computer are quality or if the computer could actually be running better?

42,000 is so incredible few, thats just a little over 2000 per company.
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2006, 06:11 PM #14
The second drive in the eMachines is apparently just a CD-ROM drive, if thats correct then it cannot read or write blank CD's or read or write any DVD's.

23-Jul-2006, 08:04 PM #15
Hi,

The second drive is only for reading cds. You are right. Just look up the computer which is an emachines t5026. The first drive should be able to read both DVDrs and CDr/w. It only reads and writes on blank dvds not cds. It doesn't even recognize if there is a blank cdr/w in the drive if i put one in. Is this a hardware problem or software problem?

Please Advise.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!