Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how do i get my volume button icon back on my desk top????????, i cant listen sound

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Aug-2006, 09:20 AM #1
how do i get my volume button icon back on my desk top????????, i cant listen sound
how do i get my volume icon back on my desk top? without my volume button i have no sounds! please help me!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,972 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2006, 09:44 AM #2
Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab, check 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.
Member with 59 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
19-Aug-2006, 09:44 AM #3
Go to Control Panel>sounds and multimedia>sounds>check Show volume control on the taskbar.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:12 PM #4
iv already done that and it still didn't get my volume button back on my desk top
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:13 PM #5
iv already tried that, and it still doesn't work
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:17 PM #6
my volume and control button has been replaced by my computer icon? how do i get my volume control original icon picture back????
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:19 PM #7
And Theres A Possibility I Will Need Some Help Or Assistance In Setting Are Reinstalling My Sound, But Im Not Fa Sure! Please Help Somebody
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:25 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantley
Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab, check 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.
I'v already tried that stanley and where the box where it says place volume icon in taskbar is al ready checked and shaded gray! what do i need too do too get in that main box? its shaded gray with check in there, and i don't know what i need click on too unshade it!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,972 posts.

19-Aug-2006, 12:26 PM #9
What shows up when you open Sounds and Audio Devices Properties. Can you move the volume slider there?
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:36 PM #10
that box already has a check in there , and its shaded gray! what should i do? plus the volume and control icon has a differant pic it some how has the my computer icon? how do i fix or get my volume and control icon picture back?
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:39 PM #11
no, i can't thats what im talking about, my slider isn't there... and plus the volume and control slider some how has been replaced by a picture my computer ICON .
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:44 PM #12
Just Thought You Should Know In Side My Control Panel, I Only See Sounds And Multimedia..... And Theres Another One In There By The Name Of Soundmax 3.0. Should I Deleate The Soundmax 3.0 ?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate/Advanced Some Coding knowledge
19-Aug-2006, 12:46 PM #13
Hi, I've encountered a problem similar to yours, and while it may not be exactly the same, maybe this will help. I use a Realtek AC'97 onboard sound device. After windows automatically updated, I no longer had any sound. Even though if you use a different sound card, try this. Go into Computer Management and select Device Manager. Scroll down to Sound, video and game controllers. Locate your Sound device. Right click (or left click if you are left handed) and select Properties. Click the Drivers tab and then the Rollback Driver button. It took me a while to figure this out on my machine, but it was caused by a Windows update. Microsoft drivers tend to be garbage, and usually it's best to use the one that came with the PC or the Sound Card. Hope this helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,972 posts.

19-Aug-2006, 12:49 PM #14
This might be worth a try.

If your icons appear garbled or use the wrong images, your icon cache file may be corrupt. This file stores Taskbar, Desktop, Start menu, and program icons so Windows can display them quickly. The icon cache sometimes becomes corrupt after a system crash or installation failure. However, if you delete the icon cache, Windows automatically rebuilds a clean one. In Windows 98 and Windows Me, delete the hidden file ShellIconCache found at: C:\WINDOWS\ShellIconCache.

After deleting the ShellIconCache or IconCache.db icon cache files, close all windows and choose Shut Down from the Start menu. The next time you start your computer, your icons should be fixed.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2006, 12:49 PM #15
I Only Have Sounds And Multimedia, And The Box Is Already Checked In There, And Its Shaded Gray! How Do I Get My Volume And Control Slider Back On My Main Desk Top? It Also Has Been Replaced By The My Computer Icon?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!