Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Where to buy Windows 95/98 computers

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Aug-2006, 10:25 PM #1
Where to buy Windows 95/98 computers
I want to find places with Windows 95/98 computers for sale. I have a piece of specialty software that requires a certain type of older computer and certain sound card. We need Dell computers running a Sound Blaster 16 sound card.

Can you help me find a replacement computer for our computers that are high mileage? The two computers we are using are a Dell XPS D266 and a Dell XPS M200S. Can you help me find sources for this type of computer?

Thanks.

Shawnee
Member with 1,140 posts.

23-Aug-2006, 10:50 PM #2
I would run an ad for one and specify exactly what you want. We have a lot of used and "refurbished" computer shops in my area but those might be too old for them. Another possible source is thrift stores. They usually have some computer equipment too.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 403 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Aug-2006, 11:24 PM #3
I frequent local computer shows, great bargains to be found there.

Usually there's one or two vendors that get ahold of older PC's from offices that were being disposed/written off...like P3 Dells or Compaqs, equipped with ram/nic/video/hd and OS for about 100 bucks each.

Not fast machines by today's standards but if you needed a cheap 'older' basic rig ready-to-go, I would look there.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 09:15 AM #4
Best place is actually eBay....
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 11:50 AM #5
Unless someone bought one of these machines and stuck it in the closet all these years, any replacement is going to have just as much mileage on it as the ones you already have.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 04:39 PM #6
I understand the need for an older platform occasionally but why would it need to be Dell specific. Is that a spec of the software? If so that would be highly unique. If it's not then your chances of finding a good quality older machine with W95/98 at garage sales for 20 bucks is pretty good. Also you can take the sound card out of the existing machines and install it on the new (old) ones. By the way Sound Blaster 16 cards were the most prevalent of that era so again many machines will have it installed already if you don't need Dell exclusively.
Member with 226 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 04:45 PM #7
if you are from the uk then look no further than bigpockets.co.uk they sell ex school computers with windows 98 on them for 40 very reliable aswell

http://bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?...b6430c1e017858
Computer Specs
Member with 13,404 posts.

Experience: Not enough space.........
24-Aug-2006, 04:53 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee
I want to find places with Windows 95/98 computers for sale. I have a piece of specialty software that requires a certain type of older computer and certain sound card. We need Dell computers running a Sound Blaster 16 sound card.

Can you help me find a replacement computer for our computers that are high mileage? The two computers we are using are a Dell XPS D266 and a Dell XPS M200S. Can you help me find sources for this type of computer?

Thanks.

Shawnee
you are trying to find "new" old Dell pcz? is that it, what software is it and why would it need just a Dell and a SB16 card? this sounds crazy

24-Aug-2006, 06:31 PM #9
Our software is for delivering audio biofeedback. The software was written for the last version of Windows 98 that allowed software to "talk" directly to the sound card. That's why my search is so specific. We have tried several older computers and only Dell machines have been able to run the software and output the audio signals.
Member with 226 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 07:09 PM #10
re configure the software to work without a dell computer
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

24-Aug-2006, 07:52 PM #11
Well, I don't know what more to say to help than was written above. It's the oddest thing though that only a Dell would run that app. The operating system would have an effect as might the sound card because of the drivers but as to the hardware, I can't figure that one.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 183 posts.

25-Aug-2006, 08:48 AM #12
i have a dell d266

30-Aug-2006, 08:59 PM #13
TO: JIMMEH
Is your dell d266 for sale? Is it in the original configuration with a factory installed Sound Blaster 16 sound card?
Shawnee
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!