Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Raw Read Error Rate

(!)

Senior Member with 257 posts.

26-Aug-2006, 06:28 PM #1
Question Solved: Raw Read Error Rate
Ok one of my computers keeps randomly restarting, sometimes it does it under stress sometimes when its idle, it doesn't happen very often but often enough and last time it happened system files became corrupted. I did a fresh format with the disc supplied from HP and it did it again I'm not 100% sure on the problem but I though it might be the harddrive so I downloaded Westerndigitals diagnostic tool and got an SMART status error in " Raw Read Error Rate " / Threshold 51 / Value 200 / Worst 48 / But when I used Everest and received the same values it says the values are normal...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,797 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2006, 07:02 PM #2
I'd trust the WD diagnostics over Everest since its their drive. It could also explain your problem.

26-Aug-2006, 07:30 PM #3
I see, but I'm not exactly sure what those values means (can someone explain) but your certain it could be the cause of my errors?... Ok I just emailed WD the same thing, since its still under warrenty and this being my 6 repair (my 4th major) I would be eligible for a new one because of there no lemon guarantee. Just how exactly would I explain it to the technicians that my harddrive has Raw Read Errors?

Just to add when I did the quick and extended test to see errors on my drive they dectected 0 errors but I still get the bad status on Raw Read Errors.

Last edited by JustSomeGuy1; 26-Aug-2006 at 07:52 PM..

26-Aug-2006, 09:44 PM #4
There's a printscreen. The thing I'm confused about though is it says if the value (200) drops below the threshold (51) indicates a negative health status, but it is clearly above. So why am I getting the error.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Raw Read Error Rate-error.jpg  
Computer Specs

27-Aug-2006, 12:31 PM #5
Not sure why that is. It usually indicates trouble reading data from the platters.

You may want to run the floppy or CD based diagnostic utility that WD offers. It gives error codes, and occasionally the ability to resolve a problem if its just a few bad sectors. It also rules out Windows/software issues that 'may' cause erroroneous results which are rare.

27-Aug-2006, 01:29 PM #6
I did the dos harddrive scans over night, both quick and extended test showed no errors also. I also tried pulling out the harddrive and connecting it to another computer through usb external harddrive case I still got the error.
Computer Specs

27-Aug-2006, 01:30 PM #7
I'd wait for a response from WD. But maybe its just a glitch in the WD Windows software.

Have you at any point tested the memory: http://www.memtest.org/

27-Aug-2006, 01:31 PM #8
Will do. And I tried the mem test. Its at 10 passes so far and there are no errors.

Last edited by JustSomeGuy1; 27-Aug-2006 at 03:42 PM..

28-Aug-2006, 06:33 PM #9
Ok just to update, I still haven't received a reply from WD but it doesn't matter now because when my computer boots up now it says SMART STATUS BAD and I can't reinstall my system. So I'm just going to return it once I get enough money to buy a new warrenty on the new comp they will give me. Thanks for the assistance anyways Triple 6.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!