Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: XP cannot find hard drive

(!)

Member with 263 posts.

Experience: Batteries not included
27-Aug-2006, 10:21 AM #1
Solved: XP cannot find hard drive
I am reloading a brand new HP DV5000 laptop with a Hitachi SATA hard drive. I am doing this to get rid of all the trial software and just have a clean copy of XP Home. The problem is that XP cannot find the hard drive. I then used a 98 disc and ran fdisk. It found the hard drive with no problems. I then deleted all partitions and created one dos partition and then did a low level format. I tried to re run the XP install and it still states that it cannot find a hard drive. I went to Hitachi's website to se if it had SATA drivers to no avail. I did find a couple of H/D utilities that test H/D for integrity etc. It passes with no problems. What I was hoping for was something like MAXBLAST or Seatools (but for Hitachi). Alas there seems to be no such thing for Hitachi. I also tried to boot with the 98 disc with CD rom support, ran smartdrv and then install XP from a dos prompt using winnt.exe. It looked like this would work, but upon the first boot, I get the BSOD.
Member with 263 posts.

27-Aug-2006, 10:45 AM #2
What I need is SATA drivers for the motherboard
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2006, 11:17 AM #3
I was having a similar problem with an IDE drive, and I finally got the drive working. After looking about everywhere I could think, I went back to the properties for the primary IDE channel. In the advanced settings, under drive type for Drive 1, the drive type was selected as NONE. I changed this to AUTO DETECTION, rebooted, and the drive was finally recognized. I would think there may be a similar setting for the SATA drive, might be worth looking....
Member with 263 posts.

27-Aug-2006, 11:54 AM #4
I disabled SATA legacy in the BIOS. This initialized the BIOS to fool XP into running the Hard Drive as AN IDE. All is well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!