Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Drive failure after windows update

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2006, 06:42 PM #1
Hard Drive failure after windows update
Hello everyone.

Two days ago, I set up a wireless network in a my fiancee's house. I turned on my laptop which had been away from the internet for about two months. The automatic Windows update kicked in, but at the end, it started to bring up some errors, and stop. The computer restarted and went through disk checking.

It started deleting files called (Null), and then whole folders, including /Documents and Settings/funcan and /system32/config/system.

After this it ran very slowly until reaching a UNDI PXE boot screen.

I looked at the BIOS and there was no hard drive listed.
Then I ran the recovery console, and looked around, to find that lots of my files were still there, but system32/config/ was inaccessible.

I ran chkdsk, and started again. I tried to run a repair install, but there was no (R) option for my windows drive (C). Also, my partitioned D: drive was now showing as completely empty.

I next tried to run a Barts PE boot disk I made specially. The cd drive just whined at me whenever I tried with a burnt disk, although it accepted the windows xp one.

Next I tried to go through the registry repair steps, copying SAM, SOFTWARE, etc. but the recovery console started at C:\> and said Access is Denied when I tried to do anything more complicated than dir or chkdsk. cd, copy, and delete were all impossible.

I considered a complete new install of windows - on the D drive it wanted to format the drive, but was unable to. On the C drive there isn't space to install and I want to try to avoid formatting it, as it contains photos of my young daughter.

Now I am trying chkdsk again, but each time it gets to 100% it outputs "CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery..." twice more and begins again.

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to cover the things I had tried.

Any help would be appreciated.

Duncan
Computer Specs
Member with 5,531 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Sep-2006, 08:10 PM #2
Have you tried formatting the drives?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,148 posts.

29-Sep-2006, 08:22 PM #3
The first thing I would do would be to pull the drive and use an adapter to slave it to another system. Copy anything important ie docs, etc. Once your work is safe, we can then precede to try a reinstall of the os.
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2006, 07:08 AM #4
Can you slave a laptop hard drive? I should have mentioned - it is an acer aspire 1350 laptop.

If so, how?

I want to avoid formatting for now, if possible, for I haven't backed up the photos...

Thanks,
Duncan
Computer Specs

30-Sep-2006, 07:17 AM #5
Ooops, I now see that you mentioned an adaptor, so I am off to look for one of those now.

Thanks!

Duncan
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,148 posts.

30-Sep-2006, 09:20 AM #6
Here is what you need laptop drive adapter
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!