Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SATA hard drive connector broken

(!)

Member with 1,139 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Oct-2006, 11:54 PM #1
SATA hard drive connector broken
Tonight while reconnecting my floppy drive, I found that the connector to my C: drive is broken.

The "L" shaped plastic piece inside the connector at the rear of the drive is missing. The pins are still there and OK but a new cable would not stay on.

Put the old cable back on even though the opening is compressed and the computer is now running but don't know for how long.

Are these connectors repairable?

I see another connector on the back of each of my WD SATA hard drives and was wondering if a different but more substantial cable is available for SATA drives?

The present small SATA connectors are a joke.

Also, I have never needed to "clone" a drive but have restored Ghost images etc. I have an extra hard drive (new) and could clone to it but am not sure it would run if I did that.

I have Acronis True Image 8.0, Norton Ghost (every version), DriveImageXML, and the Western Digital utilities that came with the drive. I want to set up the new drive before this cable falls off too.

Thanks
Member with 8,510 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
10-Oct-2006, 01:55 AM #2
The connectors are part of the logic board and aren't replacable.

I. too, don't like the new SATA connector. It's just too flimsy and it would not have taken much to make them more substantial--and they still could if they wanted to. But, as long as you and I buy them as they are, they don't care.
Member with 1,139 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 02:46 AM #3
Alex

I was afraid of that. I would not buy a SATA drive if there was any alternative with the latest motherboards.

I did not see anything wrong with IDE connectors and a miniscule increase in speed is not important to me at all. Especially if the drive itself is cheap garbage.

Do you happen to know what that larger connector is for that is located to one side of the small one? It appears to be shaped like the other SATA connector but is wider.

Thanks for the response.
Member with 8,510 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 02:55 AM #4
Power
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 197 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 02:56 AM #5
Which connector do you mean?

Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 09:15 AM #6
The logic board can be replaced. This is often done in order to recover data from a drive with bad electronics.
To do this requires you to buy another drive of the same type so in your case it is not a viable solution since you would just use the new drive instead of the old one.

Since it is running now, I would backup anything important ie doc, pics, mp3s, financial records or whatever is important to you. Buy another drive and either clone your existing one or do a clean install.

10-Oct-2006, 10:12 AM #7
The wide one is the power. The one next to it is data.
Senior Member with 3,992 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 10:55 AM #8
How about a cheap solution? Glue the cable connector to the hard drive with some epoxy.

You can also find on the web posts about using a hot glue gun.

Western digital? You are are in luck.

http://www.interactivereviews.com/pr...vings/21696576

Last edited by Lurker1; 10-Oct-2006 at 11:06 AM..
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,325 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 11:13 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker1
Western digital? You are are in luck…http://www.interactivereviews.com/pr...vings/21696576
As long as the drive has the alternate 4 pin power connector.
The Seagates may not have the old 4 pin power connector in addition to the SATA power connector.

The “L shape” is only to prevent plugging it in wrong (or upside down).
I have a couple of these SATA cables (with latches) due to arrive today.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812123107

Maybe the metal connector latch will help solve the problem without Glue.
I’ll try you let you know what I think when they get here.

Otherwise … Rubber bands and Duct tape are hard to beat and not as permanent or destructive as glue.

Last edited by Noyb; 10-Oct-2006 at 11:38 AM..
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,325 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 04:36 PM #10
The metal clips should work great.
But .. On these cables, the Blue part of the Cable housing must be trimmed before the SATA power cable can be used.
Attached Thumbnails
SATA hard drive connector broken-sata.gif  
Member with 8,510 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 05:11 PM #11
As cheap as data cables are and in view of the fact a drive can't be used without one, I think I would opt for glue--possibly hot glue would give the best overall support. It's a non-sonductive and can offer structural support--maybe.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 05:33 PM #12
Personally, I think I'd find a WD cable that has the extra power extension to brace the connection. These cables came with several WD drives I got, here's a picture. I'll bet the drive will live a long and useful life with this connection.
Attached Thumbnails
SATA hard drive connector broken-wd-sata.jpg  
Member with 1,139 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 06:50 PM #13
Thanks to all of you for the responses. I hadn't thought about the glue and that is an excellent idea.

Pulled the drive last night and it is a Hitachi instead of a Western Digital. Lucked out after sending the request to Hitachi. They said they don't usually do it but will replace this drive.

Western Digital sent a response to and showed those drive cables that John Will showed. I am going to order some as soon as I find a source. The WD part number is

WD SC50RCW

I am going to try to clone the present drive onto another new Western Digital SATA drive that I have laying around. Then will return the damaged one to Hitachi and get their replacement.

I still don't know if cloning will provide me with a bootable copy of this drive but assuming that it produces a true clone, will hope for the best. I think Nero will do this but if not, am sure I have some program around here that will do the job.

If this ever happens again, I will get out the hot glue gun or some epoxy. Better than the cables that are on there now, even on the good drives.

I have backed up the drive with DriveImageXML, Norton Ghost 9.0 (Hard drive and DVD), and copied all the data to one of my removable drives. Hope at least one of these works.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 07:59 PM #14
As long as you do the clone correctly, it should be no problem.
Steps to clone a drive.
1 Install the new drive. Since it is sata, there are no jumpers to worry about. Do not partition or format the drive. It must be blank with no data on it at all.
2 Boot with your cloning app and select source [old] drive and destination [new]
3 Complete the clone process and shutdown.
4 Disconnect the old drive. Do not reboot with both drives connected.
5 Power up and make sure it boots, drive letters are correct, etc.
6 If all is well, shutdown and pull your old drive.

All done
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!