Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compatible laser toner cartridge vs. OEM??

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 235 posts.

Experience: I need practice practice practice
10-Oct-2006, 01:33 PM #1
Compatible laser toner cartridge vs. OEM??
I have a Brother laser printer and need to get a new toner cartridge and found some great deeals, except they are called compatible (not original)... Is it safe to use those?? I will not do anything where I have to refill anything, but those look like the real cartridge, except they are not made by Brother...Please advise...Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2006, 01:58 PM #2
These are perfectly safe to use. I have bought nothing but compatible cartridges for my printer. They are identical catridges to the original Brother ones, except alot cheaper. Some brands may be of a significantly less quality ink, hence the price. But some are wee bargains. They wil not damage your printer, but they will affect the warranty as the printer will know they are different.
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2006, 03:13 PM #3
It won't hurt anything, but the toner is probably a lot cheaper. Image quality isn't an issue since it's just black, but I would guess it's not going to be very durable. Just like with ink, it takes effort to make decent toner, and you get what you pay for. If you've ever seen toner you can scrape off the paper with your fingernail and that sticks to everything the paper rests against, you'll know what I'm talking about...
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 03:16 PM #4
I have never faced this issue on laser printers, but my experience with ink jet in prior years is they either don't work at all, print such poor quality I cannot use it, or they gum up the printer causing me to buy a new one. I never ever do refills or compatibles, not worth the risks because if you look around enough, you can find the real thing at an affordable price. Now if you are the type that always buys computer accessories walking into a "brick and mortar store" then you need to find the other way!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 05:17 PM #5
I'll present an opposing view. I tried compatible cartridges for two different HP laser printers, and a Xerox one. In all cases, I had poor performance from the "compatibles", and went back to the brand name cartridges. I'm sure there are good and bad compatibles, but you may spend more money finding the "good" ones than just buying the real thing.

10-Oct-2006, 06:35 PM #6
Not opposing to me, makes perfect sense....
Member with 281 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 09:16 PM #7
I don't buy the cartridge. I buy the toner and refill the cartridge. It's a lot less money and I've never had a problem.

And besides, it's easy.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

25-Oct-2006, 05:56 PM #8
Reply to toner cartridge vs. OEM??
I would have to disagree on problems with OEM compatibles. I am a reseller of my own brand of OEM compatibles. ( My brand name kept out) There are differences with the components put in the OEM compatibles and the toner. The toner being the KEY element. When buying compatibles find ones that are STMC / ISO9002 certified compatible products. This way you know you are dealing with a product that is tested to standardized test that are unbiased in testing. I can tell you that with my own brand I sell that we are about 25% below National OEM Brands. Anything below that…is a questionable product to say the least. This is only my opinion and insight as a OEM Compatible person.
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2006, 08:44 PM #9
Actually, there's alot more to a print cartridge than dumping in toner. The drum and rollers wear out from use, when you buy a new cartridge, you get a new drum. When you buy a refill, you get a used one.

You really do get what you pay for.

25-Oct-2006, 09:46 PM #10
That is true. Drill and fill does reuse the existing components, drum corona wire gears etc. Even new OEM HP cartridges if you read the component listing uses up to 18 to 20% post consumer parts IE. Clam shell, hopper, wiper blade, even old toner sometimes by some compatible manufacturers....etc. Considering HPs toner cartridges are really Canon. Its a blind consumer gimmick.

That’s why on my OEM compatible brand is 100% guaranteed for both the cartridge for defect and the toner for 1 year from purchase date. We also cover the machine 100% if our cartridge does go bad. So far in 7 years we have only had 2 go south which caused damage. That’s better than most. The only items we reuse is the outer shell when available. Otherwise the entire inside components are entirely new....sometimes even the clam shell is new.
Member with 281 posts.

26-Oct-2006, 08:19 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
Actually, there's alot more to a print cartridge than dumping in toner. The drum and rollers wear out from use, when you buy a new cartridge, you get a new drum. When you buy a refill, you get a used one.
The toner I buy costs $8 and probably lasts a year. A new cartridge for my printer costs about $50. When the drum goes bad I'll buy a new cartridge. But in the meantime I'm just buying the toner. Oh BTW, I can't tell any difference in print quality with the replacement toner.

Quote:
You really do get what you pay for.
Price is no guarantee of quality.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2006, 10:54 AM #12
Whatever works for you.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2006, 11:24 AM #13
Quote:
Oh BTW, I can't tell any difference in print quality with the replacement toner.
Well I sure can....not in yours, but mine!
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

26-Oct-2006, 11:37 AM #14
Quote:
On most Brother printers, the drum is separate.

26-Oct-2006, 01:33 PM #15
Ye that is true for Brother, panasonic and a few others the drum is seperate. Thats how they make the BIG $$$$
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!