Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

pc reboots instead of shutdown

(!)

catlady13 catlady13 is offline catlady13 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 839 posts.

21-Oct-2006, 10:30 AM #1
Smile pc reboots instead of shutdown
HI , I found one other thread on this subject but it was never solved. My computer #1 in my specs has started a shutdown problem. Most often instead of shutting down at night it reboots instead. It doesn't do it all the time which is frustrating but more often than not. I have already turned off shutdown on error. I do not nor ever have had Roxio in here because I hate that program. It seemed to start some time after I put in my brand new Antec True Power Trio 550 watt psu to replace the generic piece of kaka that was only 350 wats I now discover. I have NO idea how it was running this machine with all the stuff I have in it. This is the page for my new psu http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23550
I can't find a rhyme to when it does this either. I have tried it cold in the morning, booted up .. then almost immediately shut down and tried it hot at night. It will do it either time. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them . Thank you.
Linda
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,455 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Oct-2006, 11:30 AM #2
If it started after replacing the power supply then it that could be the cause. Even Antecs can be faulty or be incompatible with your your motherbaord - it does happen.

If you still have the old PSU, or access to another one from another computer, put it back in and see if the issue continues.
Computer Specs
Member with 839 posts.

29-Nov-2006, 07:54 PM #3
HI , sorry I didn't get back here right away but I had already given the old psu to a friend with whom I regularly trade parts. I kept thinking I had solved the problem by fritzing around with some settings and then it would do it again. I just however discovered that my pc is only recognizing 768 megs of ram instead of the gig that is in there. I took out the two 256 meg chips one at a time and found which one was not registering and now ... cross my paws, it has shut down properly twice in a row. It is odd though as all the ram showed up in everest and memtest showed no errors. If it happens again I will put in another old psu I just found I had around here that came from my other computer. Thank you so much for your advice.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Dec-2006, 10:21 PM #4
did you check for a motherboard firmware update?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!