Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

uh oh I think this DVD drive died

(!)

Member with 265 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 12:23 PM #1
uh oh I think this DVD drive died
Hi all,
I have a DVD-Rom drive (internal by samsung) suddenly started having problem loading CD's at times. And upon doing some experimenting, it fails every time at track 6 of a audio CD. It keeps seeking trying to find it. Other tracks seem ok though (at least 1-5). And some data cd's that are full it usually gets the data off of it. But game CD's it has a real problem with when it gets to that area of the CD. I have tried various other CD's and they all do the same thing also all of my CD's are clean and scratch free. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or is this drive bound for the dump?

-Game
Senior Member with 329 posts.

Experience: always learning something
30-Oct-2006, 12:32 PM #2
have you tried a cd drive cleaner? other than that, if it were me, I'd just get a new one.
Member with 265 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 12:39 PM #3
Yes though it is not desinged for CD-ROM/DVD drives but it seemed to work. I didn't think that dirt would affect one track on the lense. On the CD definitly but not on lense itself. In any case it didn't seem to make any difference.

-Game
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Oct-2006, 12:45 PM #4
Cleaning kits usually don't work. Try taking the drive apart and cleaning the lens that way. It sounds like a bad drive though.

Lenses don't have "tracks," they move laterally.
Member with 2,740 posts.

Experience: Pretty good but never too old to learn.
30-Oct-2006, 12:53 PM #5
It sounds to me that the shaft which the lens is fixed to is dry, bereft of lubrication.
Rather than open it to lubricate it I would obtain a new drive.
Member with 265 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:01 PM #6
Ok I may try taking it apart to clean it. But what I meant by "tracks" is that the drive has the same problem in the same area of every CD (data or audio). I was just referring to "tracks" to give it a location as audio tracks are always in the same location on a disc where as data can be anywhere.

As to a possible shaft problem. I wondered about that but I didn't think that lubing it would help, but now that you mention that, it makes sense. What kind of lube do you suggest? I will probably get a new drive anyway but would like to know for a future note. I realize that it would be a delicate procedure and one mistake is going to make a big mess (aka throwing lubricant all over).

-Game
Member with 2,740 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:07 PM #7
A very light machine oil Gameman.
I had exactly the same problem on a cd player a while ago where it would only track to a certain point.
All cd players track from the centre outwards and cdrw/dvd players are no exception.
Member with 265 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:34 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeymole
A very light machine oil Gameman.
I had exactly the same problem on a cd player a while ago where it would only track to a certain point.
All cd players track from the centre outwards and cdrw/dvd players are no exception.
Ok I was wondering if it was a oil or more of a grease. And yes I knew they all track from the inside out (one reason that DVD drives are backwards compatiable with cd's and audio cd's). I wil have to do a little more testing to see if I can get data past the "problem point" or if it does the same thing. And thanks for the info on the lubercant Wolf.

-Game
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Oct-2006, 01:35 PM #9
If the lubricant is going to touch anything plastic, make sure it's not petroleum based, or it will dissolve it. Some kind of grease would probably work better since it wouldn't run all over like oil does.

It's about a 10 minute job and it might save you $30, so I guess it's worth trying
Member with 265 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:46 PM #10
I just thought I would try a little on a q-tip and rub it on the rails. Seems like that would keep it from making a mess while getting the oil right where you want it. I do have some light machine oil, but I don't have grease currently. I know that some cheap drives have plastic rails but I belive this one has metal ones. I will have to check, it has been a while since I installed this drive.

-Game
Member with 2,740 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:46 PM #11
As I say a very very light machine oil, NOT grease.
A similar oil that you would use to perhaps lube your hedge cutters.
Deffo the Q tip as finger grease will impede it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!