Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Laptop, Screen issues. (Maybe overheating, or video card)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Oct-2006, 11:36 PM #1
HP Laptop, Screen issues. (Maybe overheating, or video card)
A friend gave me a HP pavilion xt178 Laptop computer, because of a problem with the screen.

It's a great computer for my needs, so I'd like to try to fix it. (It was free, so repair is still going to be a good deal.)

The problem is, the screen will flicker, and show horizontal or vertical lines flashing, and then it progresses to the point I have no view, and I get either a steady white screen, or an odd vertical striping of various colors. (I can post a photo if requested.) The computer is still running, and I usually turn it off using keyboard commands.

I greatly suspect a hardware problem, because of 2 things.

1. I discovered 2 of the units 3 visible cooling fans are not running.
2. The flickering can be physically altered by tapping the case near the screen, sometimes stopping it altogether, and sometimes making it worse.

I have never attempted repair on a laptop, so what should I do?

Is it a problem that can be fixed?

If repair is possible, should I attempt it myself, or get a professional? I have disassembled Desktop PC's before, so I am familiar with computer repair, but not experienced.

Laptop Specs in the event they are helpful:
Pentium 4 processor
512MB RAM

Thanks for any replies.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,612 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Oct-2006, 07:13 PM #2
fans not turning is obviously not a good sign
Laptop screen issues that you have posted sound like the inverter board on the laptop/screen may be on its way out. If you plug into another monitor and it works fine then that would point to the inverter board being the problem. These can be purchased and are not difficult to fit
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Nov-2006, 01:57 AM #3
Thanks zeddy, I'll hook it to a monitor and see what happens.

I messed with the screws on the case attempting to disassemble it, but quit for fear I'd do more harm than good. However tightening those screws must have done something, it has been working fine for a couple hours now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!