Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: extremely hot toshiba laptop,

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13,404 posts.

Experience: Not enough space.........
10-Nov-2006, 02:56 PM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
BP936,
While I don't doubt laptop makers realize laptops get hot, as Alex says, there are vents on the bottom of laptops for a reason, and also usually feet so beware statements like Erick295, you could get into serious trouble. The laptop is a man made machine, and while it should shut down if too hot, remember if it fails to, you might have a fire...be careful. Laptop underside coolers are made to handle a problem, and they do add another layer of security.
not to mention the exploding battery debacle going on right now.....oh yeah you were already paranoid...ok well never mind
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Nov-2006, 03:08 PM #17
(n.) A small, portable computer -- small enough that it can sit on your lap. Nowadays, laptop computers are more frequently called notebook computers, though technically laptops are somewhat smaller in size than notebooks.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/l/laptop_computer.html
Member with 8,547 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
10-Nov-2006, 03:11 PM #18
Two Anecdotes: Last year, I made a service call to a home and noticed her laptop lying on the bed where it looked like it was being used. I cautioned the lady about blocking the vents and we both noticed how hot the laptop was. She said she never had a problem with that before; but, guess what, it had quit working some time during the last hour and never worked again.

Next story: a few months before that, someone brought another laptop to me that 'would not turn on'. After some questioning, I found her favorite place to use it was sitting on the bed.

Now these are just anecdotes and these laptops could have failed for many other reasons; but, in the first story above, the fans still worked and the whole laptop was very, very hot and it never worked again. By the way, the fans had not failed.

The word "laptop" was chosen when laptops didn't need ventilation ports. Can you say, "286"?
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

10-Nov-2006, 04:22 PM #19
This is starting to sound like it needs to be in CD
Account Closed with 3,148 posts.

Experience: Beginnerd/Mensan -
10-Nov-2006, 08:07 PM #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brite750
you mean Ive been sticking my cd's in the ventilation slots, crap
I've been pluggin' my vent holes with an ethernet cable, and an AC power cord D'OH

...sure stopped that whistlin' sound tho'
Senior Member with 140 posts.

Experience: Good but not when it come
14-Nov-2006, 09:16 AM #21
HI,
I too have a laptop (HP media center) that is now getting hot. I have a cooler. But I think it is from the power pack. I could burn myself on it if I kep my hand on it. I always leave it on something metal. When I talked to the people at HP their response was laptops do get hot"
I have an acer laptop that I left on while away for five days. You wouldn't even know that it is on. I know that there have been a lot of recalls on batteries but am wondering how I get them totake this back. It is still under warranty/contract.
kali
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,989 posts.

16-Nov-2006, 04:34 PM #22
so I am still learning about the new "generation" of laptops. Since I exchanged the new Toshiba with one where the fan works, it still gets very hot. Now I work on flat board, I am still wondering if anyone has a less than 3 month old laptop that gets too hot underneath to the touch
I did go to several large stores and found, none of the laptops were that hot but the harddrive probably didn't do anything, while I work on pictures etc for many hours.
it is also correct, lp is less heated up while using on a on board.
the holes on the bottom are, one is for the visible fan, the others are at the front but bottom where the CPU is supposed to be as per chart; the side holes are for exhaust and I can feel heat especially when the fan comes on.

I wonder in the long run now that the holidays are coming and people are getting new laptops, if anyone else will notice all this and what brand they are. Mine is a 1.6 GigaH speed and 60 GB harddrive single processor Windows Media Edition with CD and DVD burner, I only used CD for installing a couple of programs.
Some of you guys are funny, I wonder if you used your CD trays on destops as a coffee cup holder ????????
till later,
Computer Specs
Member with 4,004 posts.

16-Nov-2006, 04:50 PM #23
maybe u should try out one of these... http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=ACC11018
not sure if they del' to canada but.........
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,989 posts.

17-Nov-2006, 01:14 AM #24
back from work, so after reading up again on this subject, looks like I will have to buy a laptop cooler/fan device. when looking thru google, it seems to be quite a problem for a ton of people. Manufacturer love to answer, new fast computers are hot. So lets see what will happen. I just hope the battery won't blow up. Testprogram from Toshiba says, "this battery is not on our list of faulty items"
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

17-Nov-2006, 11:03 AM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp936
back from work, so after reading up again on this subject, looks like I will have to buy a laptop cooler/fan device. when looking thru google, it seems to be quite a problem for a ton of people. Manufacturer love to answer, new fast computers are hot. So lets see what will happen. I just hope the battery won't blow up. Testprogram from Toshiba says, "this battery is not on our list of faulty items"
Good move...it will be a lot safer!!!
Senior Member with 140 posts.

Experience: Good but not when it come
17-Nov-2006, 10:22 PM #26
Hi Rick,
I am glad to hear that you are getting a cooling fan. I have two types that have their pros and cons.

One is by Antec and it has a low and high speed. It is thicker but not as slippery as my other one.
The other one is a thin Targus but I find it is very slippery if not on a table.

I keep mine on a computer arm and i find that it has a tendency to begin to slide. I like it, but it needs imrovements. I too hoe these companies are listening to us.

Also my acrer laptop which is not as large processor wise etc than my HP is always cool. The HP gets hot. The keyborad gets hot. The battery and especialy the power pack. It frightens me. I try at all times to keep the poerpack on a piece of metal flashing.
kali
Account Closed with 3,148 posts.

Experience: Beginnerd/Mensan -
18-Nov-2006, 01:04 AM #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brite750
you mean Ive been sticking my cd's in the ventilation slots, crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS-80 vet
I've been pluggin' my vent holes with an ethernet cable, and an AC power cord D'OH

...sure stopped that whistlin' sound tho'
Oh great! Now it just sucked in the crossover cable . And it's whistlin' again . Drat. 2XDrat.
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,989 posts.

22-Nov-2006, 12:44 AM #28
thanks guys, solved for now, I will look at those coolers and get one soon,
I am still installing and updating my files on the new laptop, and it is working very hard, sometimes it goes up to 55 degrees C* or more,(never found out what would the danger level be,and why the bottom feels a lot hotter then what it shows) then I notice, I plugged the exhaust with the side of the couch , yeap, I am sitting here nightly while also watching tv and sorting pictures on an external drive for cd burning(thousands of them). so as much as I have read here and on google about hot laptops it seems I am just so used to my old Toshiba, that never became too hot.
Account Disabled with 414 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Nov-2006, 03:46 AM #29
i set up an old computer fan to a power supply pointed it into the side fan and it doesn't get hot anymore i've been useing it like this for 2 years now
Computer Specs
Member with 56,019 posts.

23-Nov-2006, 04:23 AM #30
PC Pitstop Exclusive: Notebook PC Explodes
What's a notebook battery fire? 6 foot flames, 1000 degree temperatures, and 5 separate explosions each one progressively more severe.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcsafety/video.asp
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!