Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[SOLVED] pc won't come on

(!)

Member with 38 posts.

24-Aug-2001, 08:48 PM #1
pc won't come on
I was out of town for a few days and unplugged my system while I was away. When I came back the sytem started up with no problems. I shut it down later and now it won't work at all. The green light on the monitor comes on and turns to yellow stating that there is no connection. Have tried to use the start up disk but can't get my pc to respond at all. Could the problem be with the motherboard. HELP!!
Senior Member with 3,004 posts.

24-Aug-2001, 11:11 PM #2
Could be the power supply. Hard to say. Does the power light on the case come on when you press the button? Any activity at all?
Account Disabled with 1,222 posts.

24-Aug-2001, 11:38 PM #3
Check the connection between the monitor and the computer. When you turn the computer on, does the hard drive light or floppy drive light blink? Do you hear any hard drive activity from the computer?
Member with 38 posts.

25-Aug-2001, 07:44 AM #4
pc won't come one
I can't turn off pc with the power button. Have to shut off through the surge protector. When I turn it on in this way the power light comes on and the reset button comes on (yellow light). Then when I push the power button I hear the two fans come on but this is the only activity.
Member with 216 posts.

25-Aug-2001, 04:17 PM #5
Hello maybabe

I had the same problem some months ago. It was very frustrating. I turned the power off, on, off, on..... Nothing would make my computer start. I disconnected everything (cables etc)and reconnected. The computer then came on, but when I now turned it off, it would sometimes come on, sometimes not.

When my computer deigned to activate itself, I discovered that it was neither the connections nor the computer that was really at fault; it was the power management settings. I had everything on standby. I reset everything in Power Management to NEVER except the power scheme which I reset to ALWAYS ON. I haven't had a problem since. (Power Management is accessed through Control Panel)

I realise your problem may not be the same as mine, but I thought I'd post my two cents, just in case it was.

Kind Regards

JrobNEVER
Member with 38 posts.

25-Aug-2001, 05:25 PM #6
pc won't come on
Have never done this before but I'll give it a try. Will let you know if it works. Thanks!
Member with 296 posts.

25-Aug-2001, 06:19 PM #7
Did you do anything in bios, I adjusted FSB to far and had to jump the CMOS, just a thought. Wish you best of luck!!
Member with 38 posts.

27-Aug-2001, 08:53 AM #8
pc won't come on
I did as you suggested. Unconnected everything and reconnected. The only way I can turn the pc on and off is by the surger. Fans coming on are the only noises that I hear. Is it time to take it in to the pc doctor?

Thank you all again for your help. I have refered others to your site and they say you have been most helpful to them also.
Member with 216 posts.

27-Aug-2001, 01:01 PM #9
Hello maybabe

There are certainly many people better qualified than me to help you but I have a couple of ideas - possibly wrong ones, but what the heck.

Have you checked your cable connections for flaws? You might need only to replace them.

There might be a short circuit in your machine.

If the power management is set on standby for your computer and/or monitor, how long is it set for? Have you tried just turning your computer on and leaving it alone for an hour or two to see if it re-awakens?

Finally, have you tried unplugging the monitor and computer and re-plugged after a few minutes?

I do not pretend to be expert in these things, but it could be something as simple as the above or even a faulty battery.

Whatever the result of your checking the above, I'm sure someone here will correct your problem - even if only to advise you to call in your PC Doctor.

Best of luck and Kind Regards

Jrob
Member with 38 posts.

15-Oct-2001, 12:20 PM #10
Question PC in operation now
Just wanted to let you know that my problem has been taken care of. A power surge had damaged my mother board. Have a new one now and am back in business. Thanks for all your help.

I do have another question. I have an Intel Pocket PC Camera. It shows that it is installed and I could send a video e-mail but when I went back to send another one - no video. I checked trouble shooting from their site. Find that there are two files missing. USBINTEL.SYS and USBHUBD.SYS I can't find these files using SFC or on my installation disc. Help!!!! I don't know where to go for help.

Thanks again.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Oct-2001, 05:29 PM #11
Hi maybabe, glad your original problem is fixed.....it would probably be better if you opened a new thread for the camera problem, as other people who don't necessarily have answers for pc startup problems, will look at that......

I'll mark this one SOLVED.....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!