Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Computer Vacuum?

(!)

Member with 190 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 01:18 PM #1
Best Computer Vacuum?
Can anyone recommend a good mini vacuum for cleaning the inside of a CPU?

I saw a couple at Amazon but the reviews indicated that they stink; low suction, too much power required, etc.

Also can anyone confirm that vacuuming is better than compressed air?

I assume it must be since compressed air just blows the dust around even more, but I'm not 100 percent on this?

Help?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 07:32 PM #2
None! A vacuum generates static electricity, which is why they're not generally recommended for use on sensitive electronic equipment.
Member with 17,584 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 08:39 PM #3
I am with JW on this, though I have to admit I have never yet seen any damage done by a vacuum. Low powered ones are probably low powered for a good reason.

The fast-moving dust particles generate a high static charge on the nozzle of the vac in theory. This would be less evident in a low powered vac.

Compressed air should dislodge the dust and the PC fans should draw the loose dust out of the case however.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Nov-2006, 09:22 PM #4
I beg to differ a little guys. I use my vac with a plastic extension (the one with the narrow end) but I don't put it inside. I lay or hold it at the lip of the machine and either spray with compressed air or use a small paint brush or art brush. Works like a champ because compressed air alone more often than not just moves the dust balls around. Worse I've seen people turn the can upside down and coat the mobo with moisture or freeze components while trying to do the right thing.
Computer Specs

28-Nov-2006, 09:25 PM #5
The danger with a vacuum is touching sensitive components and getting the static discharge. Since you don't touch them, you're probably in good shape. However, I can't imagine a vacuum that isn't pretty powerful moving the dust out as well as compressed air.

Obviously, you can misuse compressed air or a vacuum...
Member with 4,005 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 09:32 PM #6
No the air works I just like to suck it up right then. The little specialty vacs are totally useless in my opine. I think they're made to suck dollars out of consumers.
Computer Specs

28-Nov-2006, 09:43 PM #7
I think you're right. I have used the vacuum in a similar manner. If I get a REALLY dirty computer, I take it down to the garage and use the air compressor to clean it out, it's too expensive to blow that much canned air at them. Have you ever seen a computer that's lived for three years in a print shop and never been cleaned or turned off? It's nothing short of AMAZING that it was still running. It was a lot lighter when it left.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 10:01 PM #8
Air compressor, cool. I've had to clean some at work that I swear just opening the case side I knew right then to take it outside to blow it out. Got sinus problems like me, great fun.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,872 posts.

29-Nov-2006, 01:09 AM #9
Even getting your own small compressor for the garage now days is cheap to have and is nice to have to put air in your tires and if you get the air nozzle for it then your have lot of are to blow out the dust from the PC.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,314 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Nov-2006, 07:40 AM #10
There are Vacuums designed for cleaning inside Sensative Electronics. But you are talking a couple thousand dollars for an inexpensive one. Your best bet is to use compressed air as stated. and keep the vacuum away from the inside of your computer case. Using a gulper nozzle at teh edge of a case while using compressed air to clean and float the dirt and dust is a good solution. This keeps the static electricity generator away from the delicate electronics components which it could destroy yet will collect the freshly removed dust from the air.
Account Disabled with 2,857 posts.

Experience: a bit, or is that a byte?
29-Nov-2006, 08:34 AM #11
I disagree with canned air or using a air compressor as they both blow water vapor. I want zero water in computers unless watercooling them.I have used these micro attachments with a small handheld vacuum for many years. http://www.amazon.com/VACUUM-MICRO-A.../dp/B000BSJCLY Cleans great and never lost any part to so called vacuum static after cleaning many computers.But,do as you will with your computers.
Computer Specs

29-Nov-2006, 09:31 AM #12
Just because you disagree, that doesn't make the use of canned air wrong.
Computer Specs

29-Nov-2006, 09:33 AM #13
Never said it did Will. You bother to read my post?
Computer Specs

29-Nov-2006, 09:52 AM #14
Yes, perhaps you didn't read what you wrote. You sure infer that it's wrong to used canned or compressed air to clean the system. Of course, since you're in a very small minority of people that do this, I'm not going to take it to heart.
Computer Specs

29-Nov-2006, 10:05 AM #15
I infer that blowing water vapor into a computer is not for me but you have at it all you want. Water and electronics= pitting and corrosion however small no matter how you cut it Will.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!