Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Nvidia 7600GT fan constantly running at full speed

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Nov-2006, 01:09 PM #1
Nvidia 7600GT fan constantly running at full speed
A few days ago I installed a new XFX 7600GT XXX using the most recent driver I had downloaded from Nvidia. The card works fine, but the fan starts up at full speed as soon as the computer is turned on and doesn't stop until the computer is turned off.

I've uninstalled the driver and installed the previous version of the driver on Nvidia's website. I disabled all programs running in the background while installing the new drivers and I've read all of the driver installation tips on Nvidia's website. Everything continues to work fine (it's a great card), but the fan doesn't stop, and that ain't right.

I opened a support request ticket with XFX and am waiting to hear back (three days now . . . still waiting . . . I imagine they are hell of a busy, with all the cards they sell and all the myriad issues that come up).

Does this sound like a defective card? Defective driver? Anyone ever had this problem? I don't know anything about how the temp sensor works or where it is, but maybe it's a defective sensor that tells the fan the card is hot as soon as the computer is turned on?

My system is stable, no other problems.

Thanks,

Mike

Dell Pentium D
XP Home
3MB memory
Dell 305W PSU
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

Experience: Wouldn't YOU like to know
28-Nov-2006, 03:44 PM #2
Well, on a card like that, it's probably a good thing to have the fan run all the time. Your machine probably just runs warmer than normal. I wouldn't really worry about it. I purposely set my fan to run all the time since it's a good idea to keep any system as cool as possible.

Check the temps of the card that are reported in nVidia's control panel, and post the results here.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Nov-2006, 10:07 PM #3
I've had the panel off the side of the computer for weeks now as I've been upgrading/installing things. Seems like the card would be running cooler with the panel off than with it on, but maybe not?

With the panel back on the air flow might be better channeled and more effective - but my temps are not very high in any case. Not high enough to run the fan all the time. They have been between 49C and 54C, depending on whether I overclock it or not. I haven't taken any temps with the card really working hard yet. I haven't really started to use it for anything challenging since I'm still in "install and tune it up" mode.

Using Nvidia's tune utility and clicking on the "find optimum" button (optimum clock speeds), this card goes from a factory core speed of 590 up to 712, memory core from 800 to 862. It can manually clocked higher of course, but that seems quite speedy and safe to me.

I read on Nvidia's forums that other users have variable speeds with this card. Makes me think I've got something wrong since it runs all the time - but this XFX XXX version of the 7600GT is the fastest one out of the box without any overclocking, so maybe XFX jiggered something to make sure it stays cool.

Using Nvidia's overclocking utility, there is an option for allowing the fan speed to be controlled automatically and an option to turn it on to run all the time. It doesn't make a difference which one I check, it still runs all the time. Kind of noisy, but maybe it will be quieter when I put the panel back on.

Thanks for pointing out I'm not hurting anything with the fan running constantly - I didn't know. Even if the fan burns out over time I'm sure it's a cheap replacement - besides XFX has a lifetime warranty. My main concern is I just want things to run the way they were designed to.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!