Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pink and Blue Tints on Monitor

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Dec-2006, 12:52 AM #1
Pink and Blue Tints on Monitor
I've got a CRT monitor that's pretty old (approximately 3 years) and for a long time now, it has been tinted pink. More recently, it has been tinted blue and sometimes it will revert back to the pink tint. I Googled this problem and got this:

Quote:
Generally this is caused by a loose connection between the computer and monitor. Check to make sure that the video cable is securely attached to computer. If this does not solve the problem, switch the monitor to another computer. If the problem persists, one of the monitor's colors has dropped out and cannot be fixed. This is an annoying problem that can only be rectified by replacing the monitor.
I checked the cable and it seems to be fine. However, I don't have another monitor to use. Is it true that this problem cannot be fixed?

In another forum, one user said that he simply slammed a hand against the side of the monitor and the problem was fixed. I did that and the tint went from pink to blue. I did it again and the blue did not go back to pink. So, is something wonky inside the monitor and do I really have to get a new one?
Account Disabled with 308 posts.

Experience: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician
03-Dec-2006, 01:02 AM #2
Yeh, you probably need a new monitor. However, it may be the video card causing this.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Enthusiast Hardware Build
03-Dec-2006, 01:08 AM #3
i have 4 old CRTs that went bad, that way they would "display the world" in my choise of blue, red, gray, or hot pink, like wr4698er73678 said, you need a new mon

i think they just go bad after a few years
Member with 17,584 posts.

03-Dec-2006, 01:10 AM #4
Usually it's a "dry joint" (a poorly soldered connection) somewhere in the monitor. That it changes behavious with the "percussive test" tends to confirm that.

These are not able to be detected by eye usually, they look quite "normal", so diagnosis and repair often cost several times more that another monitor.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,138 posts.

Experience: Have Cooked For Forty Humans
03-Dec-2006, 01:11 AM #5
It could also be the cable from the card to monitor. Check that there are no loose or bent pins on the cable, and examine the length of the cable for kinks or tears. Also try squeezing and bending the cable near the point it connects to the video card while the computer is running to see if there are internal breaks in the cable.

If it were the cable, you could fix it, or rather get it fixed by a profesional.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Dec-2006, 01:41 AM #6
I have found on 2 different monitors, that there is an anti-magnetic button that needs to be pushed occassionally. Our granddaughter has a gateway that was REALLY PINK and after I used the button a few times, it corrected itsself.
Vicks
Member with 17,584 posts.

03-Dec-2006, 03:56 AM #7
The3 button you refer to is the "degauss" button.

It demagnetised the CRT shadow mask, but as the original poster mentions that the situation suddenly changes with the percussive maintenance (whack) then I would not expect it to be a magnetisation issue.

A screen in need of a degauss will have blotchy colour usually (colour purity over parts of the screen), seldom complete screen tinting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus
It could also be the cable from the card to monitor. Check that there are no loose or bent pins on the cable, and examine the length of the cable for kinks or tears. Also try squeezing and bending the cable near the point it connects to the video card while the computer is running to see if there are internal breaks in the cable.

If it were the cable, you could fix it, or rather get it fixed by a profesional.
The poster did mention that the cable had been checked, as I recall.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Dec-2006, 04:08 AM #8
Quote:
Check that there are no loose or bent pins on the cable, and examine the length of the cable for kinks or tears. Also try squeezing and bending the cable near the point it connects to the video card while the computer is running to see if there are internal breaks in the cable.
Checked. Tint's still present.

I've also degaussed it several times, but to no avail.

Also, it doesn't always change colours every time I do the 'percussive test'.

Is there absolutely no other way to get rid of this problem? I'm your garden variety broke college student.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,138 posts.

Experience: Have Cooked For Forty Humans
03-Dec-2006, 05:06 AM #9
I can get used crt's in and around vancouver for about $25. Thay usually arent that great and are far from reliable, but they are not $150. Keep your eyes open and shop at Value Village or other thrift stores. Otherwise, you could seek out a pro who would look at it for free and give you a price for a fix.

Post a bulletin at the college, "looking for a free monitor; will pick up and buy beer!"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!