Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot Find Boot File

(!)

Senior Member with 164 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Dec-2006, 06:13 PM #1
Question Cannot Find Boot File
The first sign of my problem was when my computer began randomly freezing. Not just a program not responding, or going really slow for a second, but freezing - no mouse movement, nothing. I put this together myself and it's never frozen before. Then my 3Ds Max 7 stopped starting, giving me an error that

"includes the following:

* Operating System name and version
* Product name and version
* Video driver name and version"

Now, after I've left the system running for a few hours, it restarts and "cannot find the boot file." When that happens, I have to power down and wait about an hour until it will successfully boot again.

The first time this restart and failure to boot happened, the machine started beeping regularly and consistently until I powered down, and I can only assume the beeping was coming from the motherboard (an old asus that only barely meets the requirements of a likewise weak processor). I've been looking into a new motherboard and processor anyway, but I need to know the source of my problem. Of course I've considered the possibility of some virus or failure in windows, but I was thinking (and hoping, I'll admit) that it was motherboard failing or maybe a faulty IDE cable. A chkdsk succeeded only in telling me that about half the problems found couldn't be fixed because of a lack of space on my harddrive (though I have a few gigs of free space). So - what could be causing my system to spontaneously loose track of the boot file and later find it again?

Thanks,
Mavirick
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2006, 07:24 PM #2
Sounds like an overheating processor maybe. Check all fans

06-Dec-2006, 08:00 PM #3
Will check temps again, though last time showed cool and clean.

Also, last freezing and restart instead "error reading boot file" i got "Secondary IDE Channel no 80 Conductor Cable Installed."

**temps seem fine, just around 110 fahrenheit

***when it happened for the fifth or sixth time i had a chance to write down the exact error message:

"CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 11 D8 96 4D D5 GUID: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot AGent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Last edited by Mavirick; 06-Dec-2006 at 11:17 PM..

06-Dec-2006, 11:20 PM #4
bump
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
06-Dec-2006, 11:57 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavirick
"CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 11 D8 96 4D D5 GUID: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

Howdy folks...

Mavirick...

Of hand I'd say that your hard drive has/is failing. Have you checked in the BIOS when you get this error to see if it see's it?

Also might want to download the manufactures diagnostics for the hard drive and test it...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 01:26 AM #6
I agree with Jedi_Master. Seems to be a failing HDD or a badly corrupted one. I would first check to see if you can run some kind of diagnostic on the drive. Like Jedi_Master said, check with the manufactures website for a diagnostic tool and test it.

07-Dec-2006, 09:40 PM #7
will run the diag, but the reason i didnt expect hd in the first place was because of random freezing during use of the computer. it can be in the middle of something im doing, or if i leave the computer for a while - it follows no patterns like when loading programs or files or running numerous programs at once. is that characteristic of hd problems?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,273 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 09:53 PM #8
Sometimes these are symptoms of a dying hard drive. Even though you have left it and are doing nothing there are still things tht run in the background that may be trying to access the hard drive. ANd the freezing in the middle of doing things is also indicative of attempted disk access. While it could be a heat issue, or even a power supply issue, it sounds more likely to be a disk.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
07-Dec-2006, 09:58 PM #9
Quote:
it can be in the middle of something im doing, or if i leave the computer for a while - it follows no patterns like when loading programs or files or running numerous programs at once. is that characteristic of hd problems?
It can be, it's why I asked if the BIOS was seeing the harddrive during thdisk boot failure error...

Quote:
What this is telling me is that the BIOS isn't seeing a bootable disk, (hence the hard drive could be failing) and is trying to do a network boot (hence the message CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 11 D8 96 4D D5 GUID: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
PXE-E53: No boot filename received PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot AGent.), and not seeing anything there either...
Member with 2,238 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 10:14 PM #10
Boot into safemode and do a fixboot /mbr. If it can't find the drive you may need to manually edit your boot.ini file. Otherwise I would say your hard drive is hosed.

09-Dec-2006, 06:36 PM #11
Well, it seems that once again the Tech Support Guys were right and poor Mavirick was wrong

Hard Drive Inspector and the company's diagnostic program both showed failing/dangerous status. I've transferred files and am ordering a new one (I needed one anyway, as I think I mentioned).

Just as an afterthought, is there anything I can recycle with the near-dead harddrive?

Thanks for all your help,
Mav
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!