Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I disable headphone jack?

(!)

Member with 52 posts.

29-Dec-2006, 09:51 PM #1
How do I disable headphone jack?
So the other day my nephew decided to stick a chopstick in the earphone jack on the family pc and break it off at the tip. Now the broken part is stuck in good and it's not coming out, plain and simple. We don't actually need to use the jack...so no big deal. The problem is that the PC now thinks that something is plugged into the jack so it has cut off the signal to the speakers. Is there a way I can simply disable the front headphone jack so I can restore the audio out signal to the speakers?
Member with 7,794 posts.

29-Dec-2006, 10:13 PM #2
Odd that a wooden chopstick would do that, unless something has been bent and is now shorting. If you take off the case cover you should be able to just disconnect the wire from the jack to the MB.
Account Closed with 3,148 posts.

Experience: Beginnerd/Mensan -
30-Dec-2006, 02:28 AM #3
The same nephew that stuck the stick in, probably had it some other stuff too - mouth, food, with moisture and salt, and a few other electrolyte-friendly substances.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

30-Dec-2006, 10:33 AM #4
Since there are the front jacks, you can simply remove the connections and install a couple of jumpers on the block where they plug in.

Of course, you'll need to know the specific make/model of the MB, so we know where to put the jumpers. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here's the jumper block for the ABIT IC7-G motherboard, one I happen to have in a system here. Note the two default jumpers, they'd be removed to install a front panel connector, they're the jumpers I was talking about installing.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I disable headphone jack?-audio.jpg  

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!