Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

dark monitor

(!)

Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jan-2007, 07:17 PM #1
dark monitor
I have several monitors and they have a dark screen. I adjusted the brightness but its not as bright as it should be. I can see everything ok but its very dim. I heard this might be due to nicotine build up so I tried cleaning one with alcohol, clorox, and scrubbing bubbles but it didn't help.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,113 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jan-2007, 07:33 PM #2
1. Several monitors attached to the same PC? Could be a problem with the graphics card. If they display dim on other machines then the monitor(s) are dying.

2. Never use alcohol on a computer monitor. They typically have anti-glare coating that will get thrashed by doing so. A mixture of vinegar and water works good and will not harm the monitors surface.
Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jan-2007, 07:37 PM #3
I've tried it on different computers. I'll try vinegar and if that don't work I'll have to chunk them unless theres a way to repair them?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,113 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jan-2007, 07:39 PM #4
CRT's are going to the graveyard. You can probably pick up a new one on the cheap. Maybe this is a perfect time to switch over to LCD?
Member with 17,584 posts.

18-Jan-2007, 02:02 AM #5
As the CRT monitor ages, they steadily lose brightness. The maximum life would be up to 25,000 hours for a good one.

At a certain point, they become too dark and no adjustment is left.

They are not repairable economically, a new tube would exceed the replacement monitor cost.

Unlikely to be nicotine related, as generally monitors do not smoke. Or if they do, the stop working quite quickly...
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
18-Jan-2007, 02:31 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
At a certain point, they become too dark and no adjustment is left.
FYI...

The Master brightness can be adjusted, some can be adjusted by a master brightness POT on the mainboard of the monitor, and all (at least all I've seen)can be adjusted via the the flyback...

BUT...

These adjustments should be done only by a quailfied tech, as you have to take it apart, and there are some VERY high voltages in there and touch the wrong spot and you could be very dead...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Friggin' Smart
09-May-2007, 02:30 PM #7
A monitor, Darkly...
It's really not too terribly complicated to adjust your monitor. Most CRTs are good for about 10-12 years, then they start dying. Yes, LCDs are dominating the market, but they have their faults (issues with "negative black", refresh rates, etc). The response time of a CRT in many cases can beat the pants off of an LCD.

Anyway, to adjust these, you need to first POWER OFF THE MONITOR AND COMPLETELY UNPLUG IT. This way you're not going to be dying the day you do this.

Get a thick piece of cardboard that matches the size of the bottom of the monitor. This way when the shell is off the back, you can set the monitor back down on this cardboard and prevent any short circuits and grounding out of the board inside. You'll also need to have the monitor on a table that allows for you to reach around to adjust the potentiometers while looking at the display. Yes, you're going to have it on while doing the adjustment, how else are you going to tweak it out properly?

Anyway, flip the monitor face-down on the table on the cardboard, maybe put a towel down to prevent scratching the tube. Locate the screws that hold the housing to the tube and remove the housing.

Once this is done, locate the potentiometers that control the Red, Green, and Blue Gain. These are usually centered around the back of the tube, near the cathode ray gun. What you are looking for is a series of small, turnable knobs with phillips heads. Nowadays, Most are about 8-10mm in width.

The printed circuit board will usually label what knobs are what. look on the board near each knob and note what it controls. For example, CONT for contrast, RLEVEL for Red, B-GAIN for blue intensity... The labels are almost always self-explanatory. They pay Chinese people substandard wages to build these things... do you think they get a lot of on-the-job training in how to do an initial adjustment at the factory? A big fat negatory, captain...

Whip out your favorite screwdriver (hopefully with a plastic or rubber-covered handle), it's time to get adjustin'!

Flip the monitor back onto its bottom on the cardboard.

Plug in the monitor (VERY CAREFULLY) and connect it to the PC. Turn on the monitor without touching anything inside and power on the PC. Once you get to the desktop, pull up a picture or website that you regularly view.

Now, while looking around the monitor, start to adjust the knobs. Obviously you're going to have to play with the settings to get the desired result, but you get the idea.

Once done, flip the thing back on its face, replace the cover, and you're set. If you max out the gain knobs and still get a dark picture, you're screwed. The gun in the monitor in this case has lukemia, AIDS, and a gunshot wound to the head all at once, PITCH IT.

Cigarette smoke only makes the monitor look like it was in a bowling alley. Cigarette tar adheres to components that have electrostatic pull... like the surface of the screen when it's turned on, so cleaning it is NOT changing the brightness much, just making it cleaner.

In time, cigarette smoke can damage components enough to fail, but I've rarely seen it (and I have adjusted tons of monitors).

I would side with the people who have told you that if you feel shaky about doing this, just buy a new monitor, but if you feel like you're up to it... then give it a whirl. You just might squeeze a few more months out of the thing.

Good Luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!