Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Optiplex device driver problem

(!)

Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Feb-2007, 11:10 AM #1
Dell Optiplex device driver problem
I am having some device issues after a reinstallation of windows xp pro. When I go into the Device Manager, everything looks fine except for three devices: The ETHERNET CONTROLLER, MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER, and SM BUS CONTROLLER are all yellow with a question mark. I have tried the Dell website and the Resource CD - nothing seems to be working.

I have an Optiplex GX260, Pentium 4.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Member with 7,794 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 11:22 AM #2
The items you need are generally on the Dell CD or at the website. Is it that you can't find them or is it that you are having trouble installing them?
Member with 45 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 11:24 AM #3
The drivers I have found from the Dell site, I install. But nothing happens. Everything unzips and installs, then prompts me to restart windows. I restart, But nothing changes. Almost like I am not installing the correct driver.
Member with 7,794 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 11:34 AM #4
This is the page Optiplex GX260 ? You could try doing it in Safe Mode.
Member with 45 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 11:41 AM #5
There are a lot of network drivers, is there a specific one I should be downloading? Also, what driver would I download for the Multimedia Audio Controller?
Member with 7,794 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 12:40 PM #6
Several ways to do this. Try the System Configuration Utility on This Page.
Flags Flags is offline   Flags has a birthday soon!
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
17-Feb-2007, 02:28 PM #7
janpat: you must consider what type of network card you have in your Dell If it is an integrated network card, you will need the Integrated driver, there's only 1 integrated driver, the intel 8245. Try it. If it won't work try the 3 com.

The Audio driver is easy. You have only two choices. Either Integrated or Harmon Kardon. If you have a separate card for your audio, use the H-K driver. If it is integrated, use the Analog device driver.

Your SM bus Controller is the Intel Chipset driver.
Senior Member with 268 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Feb-2007, 03:25 PM #8
you might want to try this with your Dell cd in the drive go back to Device Manager and right click on each one and install driver then point it to your cd, windows will know what driver it want to use
Member with 45 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 06:33 PM #9
I did the suggestions, and everything is working now except for the network device. I installed the two drivers (integrated and 3com). Neither worked. The only thing that changed was there is no yellow question mark or "Other Devices" tab. My computer still isnt seeing the network card. If I go into the Device Manager, there is no "Network" options..... I am at a loss now, because that is my primary source for internet.

17-Feb-2007, 06:46 PM #10
go to network connections in control panel and what does it say
Member with 45 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 06:57 PM #11
All it has is my dial-up connection that I have temprarily set up until I get the network card working again.

17-Feb-2007, 07:19 PM #12
in your first post you said that you had ETHERNET CONTROLLER with a yellow flag by it is this gone now?
how did you get the other working by updating drivers in Device Manager or just downloading the drivers and installing them?
in the 2 boxs I have here the network card is under "network adapter" in the Device Manager
Member with 45 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 07:24 PM #13
Yes, initially there was a yellow flag on the Ethernet Controller in the Device Manager. However, now it is completely gone... There is NOTHING ethernet/network related at all in device manager. I fixed the other two by downloading the drivers and installing them.

17-Feb-2007, 07:28 PM #14
go to add hardware in contral panel and see if windows can find it from there, also put your cd in to point to the drivers if windows can see it
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

17-Feb-2007, 08:37 PM #15
You may have an issue with ethernet card onboard, why not just purchase a pci ethernet care, they are inexpensive and go from there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!