Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer stopped running after NEW Ram installed

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2007, 01:57 PM #1
Computer stopped running after NEW Ram installed
I recently ordered a 512 MB ram from ebay (turned out it was DDR2) and didnt realize until i spent an hour trying to fit it in the memory slot of my Compaq Presario 4420CA computer (stats can be found on the www.hp.com website).

After I realized that it is the wrong ram, I tried to reinstall the original 2 rams I had (128 mb 133 each for total of 256 MB ram). I tried to restart the computer but computer didn't start windows or even dos.

Only thing happens is that the power light (flickering between green and orange colours) is solid orange for about 2 mins then goes blank.....At the same time the key board's NUM LOCK green light flashes in equal intervals and continues to do so.

I have tried to reset the ram properly several times. But I fear I may have damaged the ram slots where the ram is to be placed.

I have several questions. Anybody's input would be greatly appreciated.

1) I purchased a new computer HP Pavillion and was able to connect my Compaq Hard drive to the new computer via Master and Slave configuration. I was able to access files in MY document folders of the individual users of the old computer accounts. BUT I could not access the files I had saved on the DESKTOP of my old computer.

My first question is..........Are the files which we save on windows DESKTOP also saved on the HARD DRIVE or are they saved on the computer's local memory? When I tried to access the desktop in the new computer...(the old harddrive) I was given message saying u are not the administrator and thus do not have sufficient rights to access the desktop files.

Where are the files saved on Desktop located?

How can I retrieve these files with the old computer damaged and not running?

2) The old computer is not running and as I mentioned the NUM lock key flashes.....No image appears on Computer monitor (Get that multicoloured Checkered board on Monitor indicating no signal coming to monitor from computer), and the power light of the computer will be solid orange when I start the computer and then go blank after about 2 minutes

Will I have to replace the mother board? If so, will I lose all the files saved on my desktop of user accounts on the old computer?

Please help.

Extremely stresses,
Tarzan
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
08-Mar-2007, 02:03 PM #2
For your files that you cannot access try this

Take a look here

For the old PC I would try and take the Cmos battery out for 10mins and the put it back in and try

And also check and re-seat the video card and check all connections in case they were knocked loose
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Mar-2007, 02:53 PM #3
Hey that was a really quick reply. Thanks, I will try it out. It's going to take me atleast a day to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you once I have implemented your suggestions.

My sincere thanks for you assistance in this matter Mr. BONK.

Cheers,
Tarzan
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
08-Mar-2007, 02:55 PM #4
No prob....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!