Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ghost 2003 and SATA CD/DVD drives

(!)

Member with 8,510 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
09-Mar-2007, 04:21 AM #1
Ghost 2003 and SATA CD/DVD drives
I am still using Ghost 2003 as well as Ghost 9 and Acronis 10, depending on the dictates of the various situations. I ran into a problem this evening that makes me wonder if there is a compatibility issue between Ghost 2003 and SATA CD/DVD drives.

The only optical drives on this system I was working with were SATA and I was attempting to image to the SATA DVD drive. Ghost would abort and the Ghost error file indicated that an invalid destination drive was specified for the image.

Does anyone here have any information or experience with this?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Mar-2007, 09:44 AM #2
If the drive in question is connected to a SATA channel that doesn't offer BIOS INT-13 support, GHOST 2003 can't access it. While I was a GHOST 2003 fan for several years, I've run across too many situations that it doesn't work well in, so I've totally moved to Acronis True Image.

09-Mar-2007, 12:08 PM #3
I don't understand much about that BIOS INT13 stuff. Is there a way I can check that.

Also, this board has no PATA connections, not even an on-board floppy terminal. It does, however have six SATA connections. Four are grouped together in a cluster where the hard disk was connected at the factory and the two that connect to the SATA optical drives (CD/DVD) are separated from that group by about three inches.
Computer Specs

09-Mar-2007, 07:04 PM #4
Perhaps you could share the make/model of the board with us.
Member with 8,510 posts.

09-Mar-2007, 09:03 PM #5
It's a Dell Dimension E520 and I delivered it back to the customer today; however, I'm not sure I'm finished with it so I may be getting it back in about a week. They will be taking a one-week vacation in a few days and I may be getting it back for further diagnostics during that week.
Computer Specs

10-Mar-2007, 12:51 PM #6
Looks like Dell strikes again.

If you can boot from a DOS floppy and see the presence of the hard disk by typing FDISK /STATUS, it probably has INT-13 access. Since it's probably formatted NTFS, all you'll see is that it can see the disk, which is the object of the exercise.
Member with 8,510 posts.

10-Mar-2007, 01:13 PM #7
Yup. Dell strikes again--no floppy terminal, no PATA terminal.

I guess I could use the SATA terminals in the group where the HD is connected. There are three available. I'll have it back in a few days and I can test that theory then.

This is really just a learning exercise at this moment as there are no problems with the machine that cannot be handled with easy workarounds.
Member with 8,510 posts.

24-Jun-2007, 11:42 PM #8
Someone sent me a private e-mail about this thread asking if I ever solved the problem. Since I really would rather these questions be answered here, I'm posting my solution here.

Yes, I solved this problem with Acronis True Image.

I already had Acronis True Image but hadn't used it much at the time. When I have something that works as well as Ghost did for so long, it is hard for me to see my way to change. But, this was the brick wall Ghost couldn't penetrate.

Credit goes to JohnWill.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!