Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SHARP LCD projector problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Mar-2007, 02:17 PM #1
SHARP LCD projector problem
Hello

I am new to this forum, but not to forums in general. I hope this is posted in the correct area.

I have a sharp LCD projector (model number PG-D210U)(actually belongs to a church I attend and it's not working)

The projector is only used on sundays for presentations and has worked fine for years.

2-3 weeks ago it stopped working. I have tested the power cord and power supply both come back to be fine. i've even tried to plug it in another outlet just to be sure it's getting power.

the problem is that the unit won't turn on, either using the remote or the button on the unit for power. there is a little light on it for power but it's not lit up. it's acting as if it's not getting power.

I don't know anything about these projectors but since I know my way around computers, the church asked if I could take a look at this unit for them. They are a small church and don't have the budget to buy a brand new one. I don't know if these have fuses or something inside that possibly blew, or if the lamp is bad, wouldn't the unit still try to turn on. I'm not sure if a bad lamp or blown lamp would cause the unit to just be dead until it's replaced.

I hope someone here can help me diagnose this so it doesn't have to be sent out to repaired. maybe it's something simple and I just don't know how to fix it. The lamp doesn't look like it's broken or blown when I took it out to inspect it. It's just baffling to me that it has power but won't turn on at all, makes no sounds.

Thanks everyone,
Dan
Member with 281 posts.

24-Mar-2007, 04:50 PM #2
Hi Dan- According to this guy, you either have a bad power supply or a bad ballast or both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-XG-NV2U-SB...QQcmdZViewItem

I own a front projector that I use in my home theater. Let me warn you if you decide to get this projector fixed. If the bulb is also gone, a new one will set you back between $300-$500.

If it were me, I'd look into purchasing a new projector rather than getting this one repaired. The Sharp unit is several years old and is past its life cycle. The bulb in that unit is rated for 2000 hours. You are probably already past that figure.

The technology for front projection has really improved since that unit was produced. And along with the technology, the prices have really come down big time. You can get a REALLY nice front projector now a days for under $1000. I mean a nice one.

I'm going to give you a link to a forum that I belong to. If you want to research projectors, this is a great place to start:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=68
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Mar-2007, 05:06 PM #3
thanks a lot. I have to discuss it with the church and find out if they can buy a new one.
I did find a new sharp, model XG C330X and the price is right. this one we have now, was donated to the church by someone and so i'm not sure how many hours are on the lamp, but it only gets used 30 minutes or so each sunday for presentations. i was surprised to see that the one we have now was 6500 bucks msrp, not sure how much it was purchased for because the church got it for free several years ago. i guess now they'll have to buy one. i saw that the lamp was almost 500 in places. that is a lot.
i'll check out that other forum so that i can suggest a good projector. they use it for DVD playing as well as other things like song lyrics, sermon notes etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!