Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Password Override Windows Xp Pro

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Mar-2007, 04:41 PM #1
Exclamation IBM Thinkpad HotKeys
Hi everyone,
I just bought 5 IBM Thinkpads "AS IS" at an auction. Apparently they are passworded.

I know there is a combo hotkeys to press to bypass the password, does anyone know them? Or anyway other way to bypass the password.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and helping.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

29-Mar-2007, 10:56 PM #2
Question Password Override Windows Xp Pro
I purchased five (5) IBM Thinkpads "As Is" at an auction, they all have passwords. Does anyone know how to override?

The whole Safe Mode and using Admin doesn't work. Arrggghhh, Now I know why they were so cheap .
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 430 posts.

Experience: I am God
30-Mar-2007, 08:23 PM #3
yahhhhhhh, if you mentioned XP Home or 2000 or 98 i could help you... xp pro is pretty fricken locked down...go to somewhere like best buy, go to the geek squad, they have bootable floppies and stuff where you can override crapola
Member with 22,468 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 09:04 PM #4
It's very easy to get pass previous passwords with XP (Home or Pro)

There is a boot disk you can download at:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2007, 09:17 PM #5
I hope that Bob's solution is the complicated method I tried one time on a client machine...I could not figure it out.
If it is, then try this which takes more time, but will work easily:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305

30-Mar-2007, 09:20 PM #6
Fortunately it is a lot less complicated than that other solution.

Basically just boot with a floppy or CD, take all the defaults, and reset the admin password. Not too much to figure out. It actually gets posted on this forum quite a bit.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 430 posts.

Experience: I am God
30-Mar-2007, 10:24 PM #7
hmm. i think ill try that. guess you can just throw my prev. post right in the cann
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,478 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 10:32 PM #8
I wonder if huggabugg is talking about a BIOS/Hardware password instead of the Windows admin password. That may be a tougher nut to crack.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/2...-password.html

30-Mar-2007, 10:36 PM #9
Then they wouldn't have been able to boot from safe mode as mentioned in the first post.
Computer Specs
Member with 937 posts.

Experience: Know more than most
30-Mar-2007, 10:56 PM #10
If you have any trouble with any of the other methods you could try this. Basically in XP the account passwords and usernames are stored in the sam file. c:\windows\system32\config\sam. Unfortuney on XP the passwords are encrypted but alas that's not really a problem either. Since they are encrypted though you'll also need another file c:\windows\system32\config\system. Now to get these files the easiest way in my opinion is to use a live cd like knoppix or puppy linux to boot into the computer. Knoppix is actually easier as you won't need to mount the drive beforehand to acces the windows partition in linux. Right so assuming you'll be using knoppix, which is availible for free download from www.knopper.net, after you've downloaded this burn it with nero or any software that will burn iso files. Then boot from this into the laptop. Once in it will present the windows partitions on the desktop. Simply click (once) into this and navigate to C:\windows\system32\config\ and simply drag the two files sam and system onto some other media (usb flash drive would be perfect) Once you have these files download saminside (just google it, it's everywhere) saminside will get you every user account and password in no more than 5 mins. and there you go. You'll probably find they all have the same or simillar passwords if they where all from one business or something. Who knows, maybe not. This info is for use for legal purposes only and only because i'm satisfied that it is going to be am i giving it.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,478 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 10:57 PM #11
I must be too much of a pessimist. I read "The whole Safe Mode and using Admin doesn't work." as possibly meaning they could could not get to Safe Mode to try and make it work.

30-Mar-2007, 11:18 PM #12
Actually if you don't care about any previous user accounts, just delete the sam file entirely. Then you will be simply left with an administrator account with no password.
Computer Specs
Member with 937 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 11:23 PM #13
Quote:
Actually if you don't care about any previous user accounts, just delete the sam file entirely. Then you will be simply left with an administrator account with no passw
I'm sure that only works with pre xp machines.

30-Mar-2007, 11:28 PM #14
What happened when you tried it?

Of course the boot floppy mentioned earlier is way faster than messing with the sam file yourself.
Computer Specs
Member with 937 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 11:38 PM #15
Security accounts manager failed to initialize seems to ring a bell.

Well at least he's got plenty options now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!