Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New Keyboard ...Old Mouse

(!)

sherri29 sherri29 is offline sherri29 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 280 posts.

Experience: still learning
22-Apr-2007, 12:00 PM #1
New Keyboard ...Old Mouse
Hi...hope I am not asking the impossible.

I DID have a Microsoft Wirless Desktop Elite Keyboard with the Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 mouse that came with it....Also, a Microsoft Wireless Optical Receiver 2.0A.

.... The keyboard went out...wouldn't work no more.....so, I bought a new keyboard Logitech Bluetooth Desktop MX5000 that also came with a mouse (Logitech MxLaser).... and I guess what is a receiver .....with the words written on it that says Logitech Bluetooth 2.0EDR

Well, I got so fed up with this setup (Logitech) ( the mouse stood in a battery recharger when it got low..and the keyboard used batteries.)... once I was idle, (the keyboard and mouse not being used even 30-45 seconds).....when I would touch/move the mouse it either was nowhere to be found on the monitor screen...or if it was there and I could see it, it wouldn't move at all no matter what I did....short of throwing it across the room.

..so, yesterday I bought a new Microsoft keyboard (a step down from the first one I had)
Microsoft wireless Multi-Media Keyboard 1.1...and a mouse came with this one which is a Microsoft Standard Wireless Optical Mouse (no numbers)...and a Microsoft Optical Desktop Receiver 2.1.

What I want to know is this:....Is there any way that I can use my new keyboard (the Multi-Media Keyboard 1.1) that I bought yesterday...and the mouse from my first Microsoft keyboard (Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.)? I just like it better than the one that came with this new keyboard.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop computer.
Would appreciate any help...

Thanks,
sherri
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
22-Apr-2007, 12:11 PM #2
Sherri: Try it and see what happens.
Computer Specs
Member with 280 posts.

22-Apr-2007, 12:19 PM #3
Hi Flags...appreciate the reply...you said "try it and see". That is what I was asking...What do I do? I don't know the first step to take....Here is what I asked:

What I want to know is this:....

"Is there any way that I can use my new keyboard (the Multi-Media Keyboard 1.1) that I bought yesterday...and the mouse from my first Microsoft keyboard (Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.)? "

The software (CD) that came with this new keyboard and mouse is different from the Logitech...I was wanting to know "in steps" what I need to do....do I need to install the software from the first Microsoft I had (just for the mouse part) and do I need to use the receiver that came with it? also, do I need to un-install the software for the mouse that came with this new keyboard?...Now...do I have you thoroughly confused? <smilin'>

22-Apr-2007, 03:17 PM #4
Sherri: First power down, then just plug in the Intellimouse.
Then Plug in the New Keyboard.
Power up and see if Windows finds the new keyboard. If it asks you for drivers, put in the disk and point to it so they can be installed.
I am assuming you still have the drivers for the Intellimouse installed, if not install them too.
Let me know what happens.
Computer Specs
Member with 280 posts.

22-Apr-2007, 06:26 PM #5
Okay Flags...thank you...you said to "plug in" the intellimouse and "plu in" the keyboard...They are both wireless....Maybe you mean plug in the "receiver" for the 2. There is one receiver for the new keyboard and the mouse that came with it. Same thing for the old Microsoft keyboar and mouse...Do you think I should have both receivers plugged in?...and then run the CD for the Old mouse ..and see if that will work for me.

I know this seems like a lot of trouble, and maybe I should just learn to live with the old "basic" mouse.

Thanks..

23-Apr-2007, 08:59 AM #6
Sherri: You won't know what works and what doesn't until you try it. So, grit your teeth and start plugging stuff in. You can't hurt anything.
Computer Specs
Member with 280 posts.

23-Apr-2007, 04:20 PM #7
hahaa wouldn't be the first time I just started pulling wires, and trying this and that. ok Flags...First chance I get I will try this...I have to move the big couch that is in front of my desk and then get the flashlight, and get down on the floor to reach the back of my "tower" ...if it works I will let you know. If not, I will just live with the "basic" mouse. thanks for your input..and have a great week.
sherri
Member with 77 posts.

Experience: I think in 0's and 1's
23-Apr-2007, 07:01 PM #8
I looked at the specifications for both wireless mouse and the wireless keyboard. They seem to be using the similar frequencies so that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you know how to sync the devices to the receiver? Try sync'ing the device to the mouse that you want to use. Now that you have two versions of the Microsoft receiver you may want to try the version that's 2.1 and try if the receiver will recognize the combination you want to use. If not try the 2.0 version.

To sync the wireless devices, you basically push the button on the receiver and the push the button found under the keyboard and do the same thing with the wireless mouse.

In terms of the driver the latest version of the driver (Intellipoint Software) should contain all the necessary drivers for any combination since it's a unified driver that contains all the necessary drivers.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!