Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop keyboard stopped working

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,513 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Apr-2007, 10:31 AM #1
Solved: Laptop keyboard stopped working
Have a friend with a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop. Yesterday in the middle of typing an e-mail, the keyboard went totally dead; not a single key does anything in any program (e-mail, Word, Excel, etc). If you plug in an auxiliary keyboard using the keyboard port, that keyboard works AND if you turn the caps lock on on that keyboard, the light on the laptop indicates it's on.

We tried turning the computer off for at least 2 minutes and then back on, but that did nothing. What would cause the keyboard to suddenly become inoperable? Did she inadvertently hit some key or key combination that disables the keyboard?
Computer Specs
Member with 32,623 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 10:37 AM #2
Hello have a look in device manager /control panel /system /hardware

and see if there are any yellow or red symbols please
Computer Specs
Member with 2,513 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Apr-2007, 04:20 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmirror
Hello have a look in device manager /control panel /system /hardware

and see if there are any yellow or red symbols please
Shortly after putting my message on the forum, I was reminded by a friend that while the "unplug for at least 1 minute" thing solves many problems with a PC, a laptop has a battery, so unplugging the power cord does nada to interrupt the power. So I revisited my friend, unplugged the power cord, removed the battery for 2-3 minutes, replaced it, plugged the power cord back in and booted the computer. Voila! The keyboard now works.

The problem with fixes like this is that you don't learn anything about why it happened. She was just typing an e-mail reply and the keyboard just stopped working. With PC's, that kind of behavior is usually due to a power spike. Maybe that's what it was in this case, but with a battery between the power supply and the motherboard, doesn't seem likely.

In any case, problem solved. Thanks for the prompt response.
Computer Specs
Member with 32,623 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 04:21 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKTaber
Shortly after putting my message on the forum, I was reminded by a friend that while the "unplug for at least 1 minute" thing solves many problems with a PC, a laptop has a battery, so unplugging the power cord does nada to interrupt the power. So I revisited my friend, unplugged the power cord, removed the battery for 2-3 minutes, replaced it, plugged the power cord back in and booted the computer. Voila! The keyboard now works.

The problem with fixes like this is that you don't learn anything about why it happened. She was just typing an e-mail reply and the keyboard just stopped working. With PC's, that kind of behavior is usually due to a power spike. Maybe that's what it was in this case, but with a battery between the power supply and the motherboard, doesn't seem likely.

In any case, problem solved. Thanks for the prompt response.
My pleasure .
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 08:51 PM #5
As an amusing corollary, I just had a similar thing happen to this machine. All of a sudden, the keyboard wasn't working. I rebooted, and the keyboard still didn't work! I finally turned the machine off, waited 10 seconds, and fired it up again. All better.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!