Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Noise coming from computer tower!!!

(!)

Member with 378 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2007, 05:28 PM #1
Noise coming from computer tower!!!
Yeah about 4 months ago or so I turned on my computer and all the sudden I heard a sound I have never heard in the 4 years I have had this computer. For a minute I thought someone was cutting down a tree outside. It sounds like a chain saw. I immediately thought it was something inside the computer hitting up against something. So I opened the computer and took a look. Didn't see much out of the ordinary so shut the case. Turned the computer back on and it made that noise again. The sound eventually subsided. However this past week I noticed that sound again. Not as loud but it happens on and off now. Does this sound like a problem? How would I know what it is for sure? My computer is a Dell Dimension 8250 2.66 ghz.m 512 meg of ram with Windows XP Home edition.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2007, 06:08 PM #2
If you have a video card with a fan check the decal cover over the fan hub and see if it came loose and got sucked into the fan.

I serviced a machine where this had happened and it made a hell of a noise.
Member with 71 posts.

Experience: Technical Support
11-May-2007, 12:21 PM #3
Also check the mainboard manual from beep codes.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
11-May-2007, 12:31 PM #4
You may want to clean your fans out with a weak vacuum. If there is a noise, at least the fans are running and that is good. Over time, the bearings wear and there is a little bit of flop in the fan shaft. This can make it hit something that it didn't before. So they need to be watched. I suspect that after a few minutes, the sound goes away, yes?

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!