Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop not reading removable drives

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2007, 12:24 PM #1
Laptop not reading removable drives
Hi,

I have a Compaq V4310NR with XP Home. Recently, it stopped reading any removable drive such as USB Flash or via the 9-in-1 card reader for SD cards. Once inserted, the drive is shown, but when you double-click it says "disk in drive d is not formatted would u like to format it now?"

And the thing is that these are perfectly fine in other computers. I've tested repeatedly with USB and SD card. Also, if the card is in camera which is then attached via USB, it can usually see the data (not tested in all configs).

Is this work of some virus, or some settings gone bad? Please help, and thanks in advance...

--Naseer
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

08-May-2007, 12:27 PM #2
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2007, 01:00 PM #3
Thanks for the tip
I'll give it a try soon. Any background as to what's happened here? Did the Device Manager get confused as to what to show as present? But it only shows the drive when I plug it in, and removes it when removed physically.

Again, thanks for the help...

--Naseer
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

08-May-2007, 02:43 PM #4
USB settings get scrambled at times when using multiple mass storage devices. I've had to use this reset a number of times.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!