Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD Burner stopped working and drivers keep failing to load

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

13-May-2007, 02:13 AM #1
DVD Burner stopped working and drivers keep failing to load
i built a vista machine a few weeks ago and everything was working fine....until today my dvd rom wasnt reading a disk so i turned on the usb dvd burner and and it wouldnt read on there either.....so i rebooted and tried a different disc, they didnt read either...so i checked device manager and they had the error icon on it....so i uninstalled them and rescanned and vista kept trying to install the drivers but they kept failing everytime i tried....i can still boot windows from the drive so it has to be a windows issue no? please help.

(sorry i posted this in vista by accident not sure how to delete it, not sure which is appropriate for this problem.)
Member with 7,794 posts.

13-May-2007, 07:41 AM #2
What is the error message in Device Manager?
Computer Specs

13-May-2007, 12:35 PM #3
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Computer Specs

13-May-2007, 01:04 PM #4
problem fixed
hey anyone reading this if you have the same problem.
Try this fix -
) Click [Start] and type "regedit" (minus the inverted commas). Press [Enter]

2) Click the [+] next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3) Click the [+] next to each of the following subfolders:

SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class

4) Now locate the folder called {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Click it once to select it.

5) On the right hand side, right-click "LowerFilters" and choose [Delete]. Agree to the warning. Close regedit.

6) Click [Start] and right-click [My Computer]. Choose [Properties]

7) Click [Device Manager]

8) Press the [+] symbol next to "DVD and CDROM drives"

9) Now do a right-click on your DVD drive and choose [Uninstall]. Agree to the warning, close everything and restart the PC

fix came from spdabbs
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2007, 05:20 PM #5
Talking It Worked!!!
I signed up for membership on this site to tell you guys that somehow removing the entry from the registry actually worked. I am F"""ing dumbfounded and have no idea why Microsoft cant figure out how to fix this thing but I can now access both DVD Drive and Burners. I have been fighting this for over a month and I can't thank you enough for your posts.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 12:44 PM #6
stuck on step 5
I wound up having the same problem as vashy. When I was going thrue the steps to correct the problem I couldn't find the "LowerFilters" option to right click on. The only options I have to the right are listed as follows:

(Default)
Class
ClassDesc
EnumPropPages32
IconPath
Installer32
NoInstallClass
SilentInstall
UpperFilters

Should I continue the steps by right clicking on "UpperFilters"? Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: I wound up deleting the "UpperFilters" and now it runs fine. Thanks for the steps though couldn't have done it without them though, thanks.

Last edited by bobis82; 06-Sep-2007 at 01:02 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 02:34 PM #7
Next time, you can do it the easy way.

Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!