Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer not recognizing usb ports

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-May-2007, 12:25 PM #1
computer not recognizing usb ports
hi

i recently updated my computer and installed win xp. i have 4 usb ports total on my computer, 2 in the back and 2 on the side. the 2 usb ports on the back of the pc work fine however my computer isn't recognizing and reading the 2 on the side. they used to work fine but now they don't.

any suggestions?

thanks greg
Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-May-2007, 01:34 PM #2
USB Ports no worky
Have you checked the internal cabling to it. Could just have dropped off / got snagged round something while doing an upgrade. Alternatively, check in your Device list, to see if there's anything shown up as baing unknown or disabled.

Rich.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

24-May-2007, 02:13 PM #3
go to My Computer, Right Click on it and Select Manage, go to Device Manager, Scroll down, if there are any hardware with yellow question marks you must update the drivers. If that is not the case, it must be a wiring issue. If its not that, I dont know.
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

24-May-2007, 02:47 PM #4
the problem seems to be almost fixed. the thing now is no matter what i plug into the very front usb port on the side of the computer comes up as "unknown device". however the device will work with the other ports.

for example i had my printer plugged into the back port, and it worked fine. i tried the front port on the side...unkown device. even if i try to install the drivers from the printer disk, i get unkown device. same thing when i tried to plug my ipod in the front jack, it worked on all 3 other usb ports, just not that one.

thanks for the help

greg
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!