Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can an optical mouse wear out?

(!)

Senior Member with 786 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jun-2007, 06:43 AM #1
Can an optical mouse wear out?
I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 1.0A USB optical mouse which is six years old. When I was using Win ME it started to freeze occasionally needing a restart. Now I am using XP and it freezes more often than before (it just did it while typing the above). Sometimes I just disconnect from the USB port and reconnect and sometimes I substitute a small USB optical Mikomi mouse (on the same USB port) which I normally use with my notebook. This mouse always works but is not so comfortable to use with the desktop because of its small size.
The MS mouse will sometimes work for long periods and sometimes for only a few minutes but its frequent freezing is irritating. I don't see what can go wrong with it - I have checked the leads and cleaned the base and am using it on the same desk surface I have always done, so maybe it is on its way out.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I suppose a new one may be the only answer.

johnni
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2007, 06:50 AM #2
All components have a finite life. I just had to replace an optical mouse that was about 5 years old.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 941 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jun-2007, 07:19 AM #3
Did you install any drivers for the mouse that came on a CD or such? If not, have you been using the Windows generic drivers ever since it was installed?

Nick.
Member with 4,088 posts.

Experience: "No threat to Einstein"
01-Jun-2007, 07:35 AM #4
Just a thought,
Have a really good look at the lens for a piece of dust or whatever, it maybe something like that.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 09:10 AM #5
After six years, the cable could be breaking at some point, usually right near one of the ends. I just tossed an old mouse with that issue. The thing also doesn't owe you anything, buy a new one.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2007, 11:49 AM #6
I haven't used the mfgr mouse software for almost 10 year...I do use a free version of Flywheel so you have the functions and then some.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!