Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor in safe mode

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 10:17 AM #1
Monitor in safe mode
Turned on the computer this morning and the monitor comes up in safe mode, states to "activate using pc". Is this the monitor or a virus, and how do I fix. Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2007, 10:59 AM #2
We'll need a lot more info than that. Are you saying it booted all the way to Safe Mode then some message appeared or are you saying that just the monitor came alive and gave you this message? Did you make any changes to hardware or software before shutting down the last time? What operating system?

01-Jun-2007, 11:07 AM #3
The operating system is windows 98, I have not added any software of hardward. I use this computer for basically email purposes only. I tuned the pc on, this seems to be working properly, the monitor came up with the error message. My first instinct was the monitor had gone bad, but after thinking about it I'm not sure. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks in advance!
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 11:13 AM #4
In Windows 98, most of the times I have seen that is because of a dying hard drive,if you fail to boot into Windows and can only boot to safe mode. You could try to overinstall by running your 98 disk over top. If it is simple corruption of the OS that will usually fix it.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 11:21 AM #5
Sorry but I'm still confused. When you say
Quote:
I tuned the pc on, this seems to be working properly,
do you mean that it's not going to Safe Mode or it boots all the way to Safe Mode?

01-Jun-2007, 01:14 PM #6
I've tried inserting the windows 98 disk and restarting the computer. I unfortunately received the same message. Any other suggestions rather than throwing it out of the window? thanks

01-Jun-2007, 01:47 PM #7
At this point I'm not sure what is going on. When I turn the pc on it seems to respond as it always does. The monitor remain a blank screen however. If I turn the monitor off and then back on, that is when I receive the "monitor is in pawer save mode, activate using pc". That message lasts about 30 seconds and then the monitor goes blank again.

Thanks again for your help. Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 03:32 PM #8
Ok, makes more sense now. You aren't in any Safe Mode condition at least on screen. It does sound as though you have a hardware issue if you aren't seeing the BIOS post routine. That's where you see printing as it boots displaying the drive, memory and other information. You see none of that? Even if the hard drive is bad you should still see the post routine.

You seem to think it's responding as it always does so what I assume is that it makes all the same noises, etc. Is that right? You hear the power come on, the same beep(s), the fans spinning.

01-Jun-2007, 04:10 PM #9
No I don't see anything on the monitor. I do hear the power coming on, fans etc, it seems as if the pc is booting up propertly. But no I do not see it go through the BIOS post routine. I typically have a green light on the monitor as well and now its just orange. When I turn it on, the light turns green, I get my error message and then the screen turns blank again. Monitor? I just tried another monitor and this monitor is blank as well. It doesn't look good for the pc. Any recommendations?

Last edited by rccoyote; 01-Jun-2007 at 04:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,208 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 05:35 PM #10
Do you hear any beeps when you turn on the PC? You may just need to reset the video card, meaning pull out the video card and then reinsert it into the slot.

01-Jun-2007, 05:57 PM #11
Yes, I do hear beeps when turning on the pc. I would assume this is a good sign? should I try the video card?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 05:59 PM #12
I'd say that it's most likely that if you aren't getting any long beep codes then the video is a likely suspect. As Triple6 said or if it's on-board video then the motherboard may be at fault.

01-Jun-2007, 06:07 PM #13
Should I try removing or replacing the video card then? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,005 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 07:34 PM #14
Yup and if you have a vid card and it doesn't work does your machine have another video connector near the connections for the mouse, etc.? That would be an on-board connector not in use right now. If not, so you can't try that, can you beg, borrow, steal another vid card? Since it's Win98 I assume it's an old PCI card, maybe early AGP but you can try a PCI card if it is AGP.

01-Jun-2007, 08:00 PM #15
I don't have access to one, but I will sure ask around. I'm fairly certain its agp, I put it in when I first got got this thing back in 98. Hopefully this will do the trick. I certainly appreciate everyone's help! You've all been great!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!