Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: PC won't boot my new memory...

(!)

Member with 175 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 05:45 PM #1
Solved: PC won't boot my new memory...
Was running 2 gig DDR2 667 (PNY) in dual channel. Lost one stick so trying to upgrade to DDR2 800, max speed my board will support. Installed 2 new sticks of G.Skill DDR2 800 in proper slots but PC won't boot. I get one long beep. I have tried a single stick of 800 with the same result. When I take the 800's out and put the 667 back in it's business as usual.

My specs:
ECS KA3 MVP w/ Award bios
Athlon64 x2 3800 Windsor w/ AMD dual core optimizer update
Asus EAX1650pro 256mb GDDR3's in crossfire
1 gig PNY DDR2 667
120g Maxtor sata
Rosewill 500w PS

XP Home sp2

G.Skill says memory will run 1.8-2.0V. CPU-Z says I'm at 1.831V. I would like to raise voltage to 1.9 but can't get to bios (another problem!) becauuse PC freezes when I try to enter at start-up. If I hit the re-boot button a couple times, PC continues with start-up and runs fine if I'm using the 667 stick.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Last edited by 8nout; 04-Jun-2007 at 05:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,185 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 06:38 PM #2
The first thing I see is the rosewill ps. Rosewill is junk; I would get rid of that and go with a quality ps.

Next you are correct in that gskill needs more vdimm. Install one of your old ram chips and boot the system. Enter the bios and adj vdimm to 2.0 or whatever the gskill ram requires. Save settings and restart. Now shutdown and install the new memory.

BTW I assume the system is NOT overclocked. If it is OC, return ALL settings to stock before doing the above.
Member with 175 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 07:10 PM #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm having trouble getting into the bios, even with the old ram. My PC freezes as soon as I hit the del key. I'm working on trying to solve that problem now also. Will try to flash bios.... be back soon. Thanks again!
Member with 175 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 07:50 PM #4
installed bios update...still can't boot to bios. I get single short beep (normal I think) then hit del key to enter bios but computer freezes, when I hit the reboot button, PC reboots to desktop. Any ideas? Thanks...
Computer Specs

04-Jun-2007, 08:14 PM #5
Try for a minimal post.
Disconnect power to ALL drives both hd and optical.
Pull out any add-in cards except the video card
Disconnect any usb device and or hub
Disconnect anything connected to LPT1 [printer port]

Leave just your keyboard connected. Now clear cmos [or in asus speak rtc] Replace the jumper to the save or normal position. Now power on the system and see if it will post and if you can enter the bios. If it does post, then shutdown and connect hardware one at a time until you find what is causing the problem.

If it does not post, then you will need to swap parts with known good ones ie ram, power supply, motherboard, cpu.
Member with 175 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 09:22 PM #6
well, have gone downhill...
did as directed, disconnected power to drives (HD &DVD)
no other add-in cards
disc USB devices
nothing in LPT1

PC would not post...cleared CMOS.... no help..changed CMOS battery to fresh...no help..

now PC will not boot at all. I get a single beep and no HD activity (red Light?). Did this before but would boot to desktop when I hit reboot button... now does nothing.

AGGGHHH!

If I try to reformat with new memory installed, will XP raise voltage to higher level?
LOL, can I even reformat if PC won't post?
Computer Specs

04-Jun-2007, 09:58 PM #7
If the system will not post, no you cannot format the drive. XP has nothing to do with vdimm; that is a function of the bios. BTW a cmos battery will not stop the system from post. It will cause you to receive an error however the system will post. You can actually remove the cmos battery and the system will still post.

At this point, you will need to start swapping parts with known good ones ie power supply, ram, motherboard, and cpu.

FWIW I would start with the power supply. Rosewill is very low quality.
Member with 175 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 10:08 PM #8
Well, you won't believe it but I switched the monitor to the other video card and the PC booted to bios. I raised the dimm voltage +.2 and will see what happens...
Computer Specs

04-Jun-2007, 10:10 PM #9
Do you mean onboard video or are you running dual video cards?
Member with 175 posts.

05-Jun-2007, 09:10 AM #10
Sorry for the delay in response, went to bed. Running two cards in crossfire. I took one card out to get to the battery and when I put the card back I, duh, plugged the monitor into the wrong card. Later, in swapping parts I took one video card out and PC booted just fine. Went into bios, raised dimm voltage to 2.0v. Memory is now running fine @ 840 mhz. Installed second card, enabled crossfire and OK there.

I don't know what the "fix" was, I uninstalled/reinstalled nearly everything, but I seem to be back on line. Thank you very much for your time and help. Coldn't have done it on my own...hence my sigature! 8)

P.S. I don't know how to close this thread.
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2007, 11:12 AM #11
I will mark this one solved for you. For future reference, you can mark your own thread as solved using thread tools at the top of the page.

BTW if you ever update the bios, it will most likely return all settings to stock. You will again have to enter the bios and adj vdimm.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!