Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer does not recognize the CD drives

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jun-2007, 04:16 PM #1
Computer does not recognize the CD drives
All of a sudden my computer does not recognize the three CD drives labeled H,I and J. Exactly when this happened I do not know since I don't use them every day.

I tried to restore the system to an earlier date but whatever date I use I get the message that the system could not be restored.

I tried RerCure, got initially about 400 empty registry keys. After multiple scans and fixes I got this number down to 0 errors but it didn't fix the problem with my drives.

When I open the device manager I get a listing of the three drives with a yellow exclamation label and when I click on any on of them, the message
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"
If I click on "Troubleshoot" I get the window "Help and Support Center" where I'm supposed to enter a search option, which leaves me stranded.
Computer Specs
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Overclocking Addict
10-Jun-2007, 04:30 PM #2
howdy pt666

Go back into your device manager and right click on the drives, and click uninstall device and reboot. Windows should automatically pick them up on the reboot.,

As for reg cleaners, they usually only do bad for systems, (unless you have spyware) I would not suggest using registry cleaners as they can mess things up allot more than they actually fix anything
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Jun-2007, 04:33 PM #3
Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jun-2007, 08:39 PM #4
to merlin 73

This would have been too easy.
After I clicked on uninstall I got the message "found new hardware" on reboot but the problem still remained.

To JohnWill

CDgone did the trick.

Thanks a million.
Computer Specs
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Overclocking Addict
11-Jun-2007, 07:48 AM #5
Thanks for letting us know..

Nice little reg entry there Johnwill..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Jun-2007, 08:34 AM #6
I can't take credit for it, but it is useful. I used to have more complicated manual instructions for doing the same thing.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!