Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Gfx Card or Monitor? (vertical blue lines)

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jun-2007, 12:01 PM #1
Gfx Card or Monitor? (vertical blue lines)
Here is my problem:

Happened shortly after installing some windows updates although I have no idea if it is related.

Basically the screen has a number of vertical blue lines, when you move the mouse around you can see the individual dots changing.

However it comes on randomly and dissapears when I install / uninstall anything. It does come back though randomly a bit later.

It dissapears when you reboot but can come back within 10mins to several hours.

Have updated gfx card drivers etc no luck.

Is this a problem with the monitor (tried changing phase and clock) or the graphics card?

Thanks for your time!

System:

Windows xp pro sp2
Radeon 9500 Pro (Yes the card is old but it has served me very well and I have no need for high end video card)
Hanns G 19" LCD (~ 1 year old)
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2007, 01:04 PM #2
Definitely the graphics card if it shows up in a screenshot. If it's a separate card, try removing it and reseating it. If reseating it doesn't work, and you have tried a different driver (that is, actually updated it instead of reinstalling the same version), then it probably just needs to be replaced. That screenshot looks like a textbook failure.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jun-2007, 01:36 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295
Definitely the graphics card if it shows up in a screenshot. If it's a separate card, try removing it and reseating it. If reseating it doesn't work, and you have tried a different driver (that is, actually updated it instead of reinstalling the same version), then it probably just needs to be replaced. That screenshot looks like a textbook failure.
Thank you very much just wanted confirmation it was the gfx card before I replaced either. Glad it wasn't the lcd Will try the tests then look about replacements.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!