Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Maxtor external hard drive problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 02:44 PM #16
I don't think I've ever opened a Maxtor brand external, but the WD and Seagate ones, as well as many generic models, are pretty easy to open.
Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jun-2007, 04:44 PM #17
OK - did you have to break the case or? Because I've been trying to open it and it won't just come apart, the only way I can think of opening it is to just break the case somehow.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
20-Jun-2007, 05:12 PM #18
No screws, even under rubber feet?
Member with 49 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:32 PM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil
No screws, even under rubber feet?
Nope - there isn't any rubber feet on it, it came with a little plastic stand which I removed and looked under already. It's not held together with any screws I don't think.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2007, 05:35 PM #20
Just a thought. Sometimes they hide them under stickers, too.
Member with 49 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:42 PM #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil
Just a thought. Sometimes they hide them under stickers, too.
Looked there too
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2007, 08:23 PM #22
Some of the cases have latches where you have to bend the seam a bit and it'll come loose. It's really difficult to say without actually seeing the case. I can say that I've never had one I couldn't open.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2007, 10:38 PM #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
Some of the cases have latches where you have to bend the seam a bit and it'll come loose. It's really difficult to say without actually seeing the case. I can say that I've never had one I couldn't open.
My operational theory is that if they were put together, they can be taken apart. And that people who repair these things know how to open them.

The theory has been sorely tested a few times, but things can be opened one way or the other.
Computer Specs

21-Jun-2007, 10:56 AM #24
Sometimes a hammer is required.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2007, 04:28 PM #25
Opening Maxtor USB HDD
I have just had to open a Maxtor USB HDD and thought I might give you my two cents worth. First of all, the one I am dealing with has a solid case with blue plastic bits at either end.

I undid two screws on one of the plastic ends (one screw was under a sticker, thereby voiding any warranty).

I then managed to lever off the blue plastic piece and after a little light downward shaking (over my lap), the insides slid out easily (onto my lap).

I hope that helps you!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Jul-2007, 05:59 PM #26
Dragonrain is right. I have the same drive - Maxtor 3200 and there are no external screws or tabs or anything. It must be just snapped together (doesn't appeared to be glued) at the factory with no way to unsnap it without destroying the housing.
I've posted to a couple other forums trying to find out if anyone knows how to dismantle this drive...but no luck so far.
This is the drive:

Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2007, 08:49 AM #27
Hey, just thought I'd add a little something to this thread.

I managed to get the case open on my Maxtor 3200. On each side of the case there are six very thin slits. Inside these slits, you'll see some rectagular metal objects (Four on each side).
These are catches that need to be moved to either end of the case. I pushed a letter opener into these slits, and used it to move the metal catches sideways. The case should come apart easily then.

These catches are metal, so it would be extremely hard to force the case open with the old screwdriver.

Once I got it open, I wanted to find the correct side up for the harddrive. (I have a slight obsessive compulsive thing about harddrives not being upside down.)

Guess what I found inside...

http://img180.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_251lo.jpg

Yes, that is a Seagate Barracuda 320GB in a Maxtor external box. Just thought I'd share it.

Last edited by Wolfcastle; 06-Aug-2007 at 09:38 AM..

06-Aug-2007, 10:14 AM #28
That's awesome! And a 7200.10 Seagate at that.
Mine's a couple years old and is only 100GB so I'm sure it's not 7200.10 and is probably an actual Maxtor drive (I can't remember when Seagate bought Maxtor).
I'll give it a shot, though.
Thanks for the info.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2007, 08:28 PM #29
Ah I didn't realise that Seagate bought out Maxtor.
Probably a good thing in the end, Maxtor drives were always noisy in my experience. But I'm very pleased with that find though. I've always had less trouble with Seagate and WD than Maxtor.

The drive inside the box seems to be an unmodified ATA(IDE) drive. I carefully replaced it with an old drive I had lying around (maxtor ). After setting the drive to master and plugging in the USB cable, I turned on the power and it worked. Windows picked it up and I could access the data. So it seems to be a nice little ATA(IDE) to USB converter.
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2007, 02:07 AM #30
Yes, those housings are pretty universal. I even use one as an external CD burner and it works fine, even though a hard drive came in it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!