Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

display driver not responding/recovered

(!)

Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,559 posts.

24-Jun-2007, 08:11 PM #1
display driver not responding/recovered
This one has me stumped. Does anyone know what would cause the display driver to stop responding and recovering? I was playing Command and Conquer: Zero Hour for about an half hour then my machine was slowing down, stopping for a sec and then went blank and back to the game. This was continuous. I saved my game and went out of the game and saw the message about the device driver not responding.

This problem continued and happened still when I was in Windows. This is the first time I have had a problem. Any suggestions?

Video card: Nvidia clone, FX5200 128MB
Windows Vista Business Ed.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

24-Jun-2007, 08:43 PM #2
Note that I did install the latest drivers for Vista that was on Nvidia's site, and quite frankly seemed to make it worse. I am attempting to do System Restore now and see what happens.

Edit: SR did not help.
Computer Specs
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2007, 08:52 PM #3
what other games have you been playing sounds like your card is fried i had that once bought my cousins computer and he had put the overclocking tool on and i had it for a week and it died. check your card with other games because it may be that C and C Zero hour could be corupeted and causing your card to overclock

24-Jun-2007, 09:05 PM #4
It's not the game, Windows is having problems too. It seems that there is a problem with that driver.

24-Jun-2007, 09:06 PM #5
and definitely not a heat issue. I have a fan inches away from it.

24-Jun-2007, 09:43 PM #6
well I manage to find a newer driver than what Nvidia and so far no problems. So here is what I did.

The problem file is nvlddmkm.sys. Somehow this file gets corrupted and your machine will keep blinking on and off every few minutes. The solution is to replace that file. You will need to get the 100.65 drivers and once downloaded extract nvlddmkm.sy_ into a folder (make it easy like c:\driver). then go to the command prompt and type extract <file path>\nvlddmkm.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys. <filepath> is where the file is located.

Restart and it should be good. If you are unable to use windows like I did, go into Safe Mode with Networking so you can access the internet.

24-Jun-2007, 11:47 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant
well I manage to find a newer driver than what Nvidia and so far no problems. So here is what I did.

The problem file is nvlddmkm.sys. Somehow this file gets corrupted and your machine will keep blinking on and off every few minutes. The solution is to replace that file. You will need to get the 100.65 drivers and once downloaded extract nvlddmkm.sy_ into a folder (make it easy like c:\driver). then go to the command prompt and type extract <file path>\nvlddmkm.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys. <filepath> is where the file is located.

Restart and it should be good. If you are unable to use windows like I did, go into Safe Mode with Networking so you can access the internet.
Well this didn't go as well as I planned, and it looks like this card is not going to be supported anymore. I hate Windows.

25-Jun-2007, 11:32 AM #8
Gahhh... I will close this thread since the problem is small to my new problem... partition table is jacked. If you do have this problem, first check for viruses as this is the only thing I didn't check.
Moderator with 13,725 posts.

26-Jun-2007, 02:01 AM #9
Closed as requested.

Good luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!