Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dissamble Power Adapter brick - laptop

(!)

Member with 361 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2007, 12:31 AM #1
Dissamble Power Adapter brick - laptop
I have recently noticed that depending on the position of the low volt line exiting the power adapter brick for my laptop, my laptop will register as pluged in, or as running on battery power. My AC power adapter brick has a lose connection in it. I want to disasemble it and attempt to fix the connector.

I am currently studying electrical/computer engineering so I feel confident that I will be able to fix it, but I can get inside the box.

as always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

ps. yea I could go buy a new power adapter, but I don't want to spend that $60 if I can help it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 12:36 AM #2
If your brick is anything like the ones I make, it is encased in epoxy inside the plastic case. (I do it to allow the brick to survive drops.) If that's the case, you won't be able to fix it.

What is the make/model of your laptop?

Courtney sends....
darkelf_18 darkelf_18 is offline   darkelf_18 has a birthday soon!
Senior Member with 509 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2007, 01:34 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbrk200
I have recently noticed that depending on the position of the low volt line exiting the power adapter brick for my laptop, my laptop will register as pluged in, or as running on battery power. My AC power adapter brick has a lose connection in it. I want to disasemble it and attempt to fix the connector.

I am currently studying electrical/computer engineering so I feel confident that I will be able to fix it, but I can get inside the box.

as always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

ps. yea I could go buy a new power adapter, but I don't want to spend that $60 if I can help it.
A certain position at the female port on your laptop? Or a certain POS coming out of your power brick...

Cause I had a similar problem and it was actually the motherboard that was at fault(went and bought a new IGO power cable...)
Member with 361 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 11:38 AM #4
the problem is definitely on the power brick. I have a HP presario V2000. I think the power brick might be encased in epoxy, but I still want in even if that means cutting through it. If I did cut through it where would be a good location to avoid aditional damage?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 01:07 PM #5
Actually, the prediction that it's impossible to fix is incorrect. I've fixed this kind of issue, a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel comes in handy. I just split the case and repaired it, then epoxied it back together.
Member with 361 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 08:40 PM #6
That's actually exactly what I was planning on doing, I recently purchased a new dremel tool. Ok if no one has any other advice, I will be drilling this weekend. Thanks.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2007, 09:27 AM #7
What I do is cut around the glue line keeping the cut shallow and working it in until I just penetrate the enclosure. Obviously, if you get carried away, you might cut something important going too deep. Once you get used to using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Member with 361 posts.

18-Jul-2007, 12:55 AM #8
Solved: I decided to use a utility knife instead of the dremel tool, as I didn't want to wake up my roommates. There were metal plates on all sides of the brick just inside the outside plastic, therefore cut on the seams, and don't worry about damaging interior components as the metal will stop the knife. The positive wire was broken in the middle of the stress relief. I simply spliced the wires and it works like a charm. Thanks guys...
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2007, 10:23 AM #9
Glad it worked out for you.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!