Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I Keep Losing my Printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2007, 03:44 PM #1
Unhappy I Keep Losing my Printer
My laptop shares our Dell printer with our desktop computer through a wireless router. The printer is connected directly to the desktop.
My problem has gotten so bad that before I can print a document from my laptop, I first have to delete the printer, then "find" it and install it again. sometimes, I have to restart my laptop to complete a print job.
I am tempted to buy a new wireless printer, but the printer may not be the real problem here.
Frequently, my laptop cannot "see" the printer in any list (the list doesn't populate) until I restart the computer--following a deletion of the printer routine.
Have you or any of your readers got any suggestions that I should try to fix this annoying probmem?
Thanks
Tom
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,671 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 08:11 AM #2
Can you "See" the other system ie whatever files/folders are shared when you have this problem?
I have PM JW to take a look at this as well.
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2007, 09:18 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver
Can you "See" the other system ie whatever files/folders are shared when you have this problem?
I have PM JW to take a look at this as well.
Thanks for your response; after about 3 weeks, I gave up on getting a reply and hired a computer guy to come out and assign a static IP address to the laptop and to the printer so my laptop can always find them. If that starts to fail, I"m pitching the printer and buying a wireless network printer.
Thank you, again.
Tom
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 09:29 AM #4
I think this one "fell through the cracks", sorry about that. I was on vacation for the first week, and it was apparently out of sight by then.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2007, 04:53 PM #5
As you mentioned, the printer is probably NOT the problem.........And I don't think the way you have it hooked up now, that it would be possible to place an IP on the printer The computer, yes, the printer no.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 08:09 PM #6
Here is the best way to do it:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&cm_keycode=58
Find a router like this one that has a usb port and then anyone accessing the router can use the printer.

18-Aug-2007, 10:40 PM #7
That's a pricey solution
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2007, 10:43 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
That's a pricey solution

You really think so? Ok here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833135113

18-Aug-2007, 10:47 PM #9
Still, printers aren't worth that much.........for that price you could buy another printer and hook it up to the laptop

and still have money left over for ink
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2007, 11:17 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
Still, printers aren't worth that much.........for that price you could buy another printer and hook it up to the laptop

and still have money left over for ink
Well I suppose some have luck with $60 printers, but I never have. But my point actually was to anyone starting from scratch that this is a well priced router with the capacity of a print server, and may also just be the best router money can buy besides. I have never reset it and never had an issue with it in two + years.
Computer Specs

26-Aug-2007, 07:33 PM #11
Thanks to you all for your answers--even the smart -assed answers. I did hire a geek to come over, he did something to change the IP address on either the desktop and/or the printer, and so far it works--every time. I"d call that cheap because it works and I"m through with it.
Next time, the printer becomes a boat anchor and I buy a new one from somebody who knows how to set up a network printer.
Thanks again.

27-Aug-2007, 07:50 PM #12
As I mentioned, unless it is a NETWORK printer, connected via an ethernet cable to a print server or the router directly, the printer HAS NOT IP address

He probably made the desktop have a FIXED IP address so that it wouldn't change....although, I have a printer hooked to a desktop and it can still be found on the network as long as it's shared, regardless of whether the IP address of the computer changes...so, I'm still confused as to what he REALLY did

Hope this doesn't fall under the smart -assed answers and by the way, watch your language please
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!