Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help: Monitor won't turn on after standby mode

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Aug-2007, 11:15 PM #1
Help: Monitor won't turn on after standby mode
I just got a new computer and a new monitor. It happened couple times that after putting the computer to sleep mode, when I tried to turn on the computer again, the PC was on but the monitor was still off. When I turned off the monitor and then turned it back on, a message shown: "no signal". I had to turn off the pc and restart it, only then the monitor was on. My question is, is it a problem with the pc or the monitor? I would like to know because both are still eligible for return if there is any problems. Thanks!
Member with 17,584 posts.

05-Aug-2007, 01:47 AM #2
The "no signal" indicates that the computer has not booted. The signal comes from the monitor itself, so it would appear that the monitor is fine.

Reliability of sleep modes with desktop computers is variable, as the mode was primarily designed for laptops. Its not uncommon for desktop computers to die in their sleep as yours appears to be doing. Just because the lights are on does not always mean the computer has rebooted, it sounds like it goes into a coma and stays there...

Usually its incompatible drivers or hardware, but if the computer works fine with a normal full shutdown, I would doubt that you will get far with a warranty claim. I avoid sleep modes (hibernation and standby) as virtually every system I have has (and thats upwards of 15) has shown some degree of instability, though laptops have been fine.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

05-Aug-2007, 08:42 AM #3
Thanks! That was very helpful!
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Aug-2007, 12:56 PM #4
Why not start with a few ideas here? How about Power Options in Control Panel is hibernation enabled? If so disable it as that is what is normally problematic. On the second screen in Power Options "Advanced", is the power button set to enable standby when pressed? This enables you to come out of sleep by pushing the power button.
In Bios or setup in Power Management, is the power button set for 4 second delay (to enable option in Power Options)? It should be.
I'm surprised at you kiwi as I normally agree with you but i have gotten sleep to work on every pc including way back in 95, though at times it took some effort!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!