Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help: I keep on losing disk space even though I'm deleting stuff!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 377 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Aug-2007, 03:48 PM #1
Exclamation Help: I keep on losing disk space even though I'm deleting stuff!
PC runs on Windows XP Home SP 2, with latest patches and IE 7.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.6 (latest version). Computer is going to be four yrs old next month. Hard disk C (format NTFS) has a total capacity of 27.94 GB, according to right-clicking on hard disk C and according to Disk Defragmenter. Currently, 15.05 GB are occupied (53% of the hard disk). I have been deleting stuff to free up space and haven't been saving anything particular to the disk - but still I lose .01 GB EVERY DAY (day before yesterday, I had 15.07 GB, yesterday .06, and today 05 GB). Why do I keep on losing space in spite of my emptying the caches of both my browsers (Firefox manually, IE via Disk Cleanup), running Disk Defragmenter and properly deleting old files and programs I no longer need via control panel? Has this something to do with the Temp folder (in the WINDOWS folder)? It is currently more than 51 MB in size, most of the files end in .tmp and are indicated in blue. Only few of them have their names written in black. It looks quite full, with something like 2.500 objects in there.
So: why am I losing .01 GB every day although I'm trying to free up stuff?
PS: I am NOT at all well versed in computer lore.

Last edited by Saussure; 11-Aug-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 377 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Aug-2007, 04:27 PM #2
It's me again...Most of the .tmp files indicated in blue start with JET followed by a numbers and letters, for instance: JET7A9F.tmp

I would be REALLY glad if someone helped me, as I don't know why I'm losing disk space every day and am afraid to end up with 0 GB one bright day and having to buy a new computer as well.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Aug-2007, 05:45 PM #3
It might be a virus, some are known to replicate themselves taking up as much space in your computer that you have, I recommend running a virus scan.
Senior Member with 1,661 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2007, 05:56 PM #4
Download and run CCleaner. Leave it at the default settings until you get familiar with what it does. http://www.ccleaner.com/
Take the tour: http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/1-after-installation
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

11-Aug-2007, 05:56 PM #5
The amount of free space on your disk will vary. The reason for this is a dynamic page file along with system restore.

Delete ALL restore points except the last one. Do a complete cleanup with CCleaner [available for download from many sites]

Now see how much space you have. Post back with results.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2007, 06:00 PM #6
Agree with Crjdriver. I had the problem of not much space left on the drive, so I went into the system restore and deleted all but the last 3-4 points,,, made a BIG difference in disk space.
Vicks
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
11-Aug-2007, 06:01 PM #7
Delete all the files in C:\WINDOWS\temp and in C:\WINDOWS\prefetch. You'll probably hear some nays about prefetch but do it anyway.
The blue entries in temp are compressed files. Windows compresses them in order to save space. They can be deleted.
If you haven't been running Spybot S&D and Adaware 2007, update them and run them.
You can find them bu Googling for them. Free and easy to use.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

11-Aug-2007, 06:07 PM #8
Do not post multiple threads for the same problem. This thread is closed; continue here.
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/6...alculated.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!