Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

LCD monitor standby problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 606 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
18-Aug-2007, 08:59 PM #1
LCD monitor standby problem
Hi jsut got a new monitor, Acer AL2215W. It is a 22" widescreen LCD monitor. I have it hooked up with a DVI cable to my radeon 9550.

Its really great but I have this weird problem. If I turn off the monitor, then turn back on it doesnt recognize a signal. Not sure what the problem is. I have to restart the computer for it to recognize signal again
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,254 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2007, 11:16 AM #2
Thats odd. What if you unplug the LCD and plug it back in does that work?

Does it do it on the VGA cable as well? You may want to update the video drivers too, maybe for whatever reason it detects the monitor not there and turns off the DVI port. Latest drivers are here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:18 PM #3
I have the absolute latest video drivers. Havent tried with VGA but Ive heardr of other people with this problem and it only occurs with DVI. Also they say if you unplug the DVI cord and plug it back in the same problem exists too.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

19-Aug-2007, 02:21 PM #4
If you have latest video drivers, try to either get a refund or call up Acer. We've run across this same issue at my job but with IBM LCDs. Have to have them replaced.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:38 PM #5
what i did was go into monitor power settings on windows xp and have the monitor turn off after 5 minutes of being idle. So I let it go idle and turn off, then I moved my mouse and the screen comes back fine. Very weird. So as long as I don't turn it off physically with the power button , i shoudl be OK. When the power settings turn it off is it really off- not using any power?
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:42 PM #6
Oh I just also noticed when my computer boots I don't see the BIOS text or "DEL to enter setup" or my mobo logo or anything. I just see the ACER logo and it intermittently says "no signal" then eventually shows up at windows logon.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:42 PM #7
That is weird, haha. Its actually in a "power saver" mode. However it hardly uses any power. I always leave mine on and let power management turn mine off after 20 minutes. I can't even remember the last time I used the actual power button, hehe.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:44 PM #8
Seems as if it is taking a long time to detect signal from DVI input. I would browse in the LCD's menu and see if there is a way to default it to the DVI input.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 02:49 PM #9
ya there is and its set to "Digital" - hm I was just thinking what happens if ih ave VGA and DVI plugged in at the same time?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,254 posts.

19-Aug-2007, 03:34 PM #10
It'll choose one and use it, probably VGA.

The issue might be actually the video card and its not initializing the DVI interface properly.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 10:47 PM #11
Unhappy ACER LCD Monitor Problem.
Sphinx,

I bought an ACER 24" X241W in July. It has the same problem. If I turn the monitor off and turn it back on, it takes more than a minute for the display to show up. During this time the ACER logo flashes on a dark background. The fix to this problem is to unplug the power completely. But after some days this happens again. I have NOT been able to convince ACER technicians about this intermittent problem. If other people also see a similar problem then we have a case against ACER to take back its crap.

AcerClassAction
Junior Member with 4 posts.

28-Aug-2007, 10:02 PM #12
Hey,

I have the exact same problem with the Acer X241W...

Are you having this problem for a long time now? It started happening to me just now. The weird thing is that this problem seems to be spreading through out the net recently. All the posts I've found describing it are dated from a few days back. I'm wondering if it is related to the new nvidia graphics driver released about 14/08 (i guess) but I still need confirmation from other people also experiencing the problem.

Are you also experiencing regular "no signal" messages on top of a perfectly visible and functional image, followed by blank screens? These problems seem to be related somehow but I'm still not sure.

Anyway... there is a "workaround". If you enter the monitor menu (while it is not on the "no signal" state) and select the Digital input, the problem goes away until the next time you turn it off. It seems that the problem is caused by the monitor cycling through it's inputs... Since my nvidia graphics adapter does not have a Analog input (what about yours?) the monitor goes "no signal" until it decides to activate the digital input again.

Regards
Junior Member with 1 posts.

29-Aug-2007, 03:04 PM #13
Same problem
I have exactlly the same problem.
it appeared less than a week ago
Acer X241W plugged on DVI with a 8800 GTS on 1920x1200 resolution

Anybody got clue ?

Thx
Junior Member with 4 posts.

29-Aug-2007, 04:14 PM #14
Actually removing and reinserting the power cord has apparently solved the problem for me. I don't know if this "solution" is temporary or if it really solved it. Anyway... if you could try to repeat it it would be nice...

I dont know if it matters but I did this "cable boot" with the monitor turned on. Since then I had no "no signal" messages...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Aug-2007, 01:33 PM #15
I too just started experiencing the "No Signal" issue within the last few days. As Klamath stated, unplugging the monitor from the AC temporarily seems to have fixed it. My monitor had been plugged in continuously since I bought it from Walmart close to the end of June '07. I unplugged it momentarily last night before I went to bed and it worked after that. This morning, it is still working as it should. Weird!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!